Students struggle with patience while applying for co-op

File photo

Many students use career fairs as networking opportunities when looking for co-ops.

Faysal Khaled Abueljebain, news correspondent

Northeastern prides itself on the co-op experience. The concept of applying classroom knowledge to the real world is a key part of the university’s pitch to prospective students. 

“The purpose of the co-op program is to provide students with the opportunity to explore their career interests, and develop a deeper understanding of what they learn by directly applying it to see if what they’re learning aligns with what they want,” said Esther Chewning, assistant dean for cooperative education. “We have been doing this for a long time. The co-op program is a process that is 105 years old.” 

The co-op program is an exploratory resource for students. Students use the program to test different job types to see what their best fit is. 

Malathi Reddy, a second-year communication studies student, is going through that thought process as she applies for her first co-op. She said she is currently looking at co-ops that revolve around marketing, human resources and editorial positions. 

“I think the co-op program is important, particularly for students like me, who have no idea what they want to do,” Reddy said. “It gives us an idea of what types of jobs we like, what skills we need to develop, and which companies we want to work for.”

Many students struggle with the co-op application process, which centers around  the NUCareers database, containing over 1,000 job postings.

Aicha Wakidi, a third-year international affairs and economics major pursuing her first co-op, said her struggles go beyond resumes. 

“For me, the hardest part in the co-op process is not necessarily the job search [and] application itself but rather the psychological aspect of it — when other people start getting interviews [and] job offers and I have not,” she said.

Reddy said she shares this struggle, but understands that sending your resume to a company does not guarantee a response. She said it is frustrating to have no control over this process. 

Abe Berman, a second-year chemical engineering student, said he is struggling with being patient. He is currently pursuing his first co-op and is open to working in the energy industry or the water treatment industry. “It takes a long time to find a position that fits me. I am struggling with waiting,” he said.

Chewning said she believes students struggle when they apply to a large number of co-ops. 

“I recommend being thoughtful and strategic in your applications, in understanding your interests, skill level, industries of interest, and what employers are seeking,” Chewning said. “Students get scared, so they apply to all co-ops”

Chewning also said it is important to use resources wisely. 

“What I have seen students do well is utilizing the resources we provide, such as attending co-op fairs, information sessions, and networking with their peers,” she said. 

Wakidi said despite her struggles, the application process overall has been going well. 

“I have been following all the steps correctly thanks to my co-op advisor,” she said.

Berman said he has also been following the advice of his advisor.

“What is best for me right now is my networking,” he said. 

Chewning said she wants students to be excited about the co-op experience.

“Students should learn to trust the process here at Northeastern, and to really embrace this as an opportunity for learning about who they are. It is easy to say ‘I can’t do that,’ but to stretch beyond your capacity, then saying ‘I can do that’ is what a Northeastern student can do successfully. Embrace the excitement, and embrace the opportunity,” she said.