Trash can fire in Egan causes Level 2 hazmat incident, evacuation

An alert was sent to all NU students at 1:08 p.m. informing students of a “potential hazardous materials incident in Egan Research Building” and instructing them to avoid the area.

Deanna Schwartz

Deanna Schwartz

Deanna Schwartz

Deanna Schwartz, campus editor

A small trash can fire in Egan Research Center caused a Level 2 hazmat incident and led to an evacuation Tuesday afternoon, according to the Boston Fire Department, or BFD. 

An alert was sent to all NU students at 1:08 p.m. informing students of a “potential hazardous materials incident in Egan Research Building” and instructing them to avoid the area. Egan Research Center is home to multiple chemistry labs. 

In a 2:30 p.m. email to The News, university spokesperson Shannon Nargi said the fire was extinguished immediately upon discovery. 

“The Boston Fire Department responded to the scene, and the building was evacuated as a precaution. There were no injuries and no significant damage to the room. The building has been cleared and reopened. The floor where the incident happened is temporarily closed,” Nargi wrote. 

The BFD shared in a tweet at 1:37 p.m. that “Haz-Mat companies checked the air quality in the building and it is negative [for hazardous materials].” 

At 2:12 p.m., an alert informed students that the area was back to normal, though the third floor of Egan will remain closed.