Getting hammered clarified

Get Hammered? What? Getting wasted, getting blinded, or maybe even getting clobbered. But getting Hammered? What is it about this term that is creating such a buzz on campus? After Mohammed Abdulla’s story appeared in the NU News last week, I thought it was about time you got back on your rocker and heard first hand what Hammered is all about.

Despite the name of our organization, you probably won’t find any beer pong games or keg stands at our meetings or events. In fact, Hammered is here for those looking for something besides drinking and drugs.

Hammered is questioning the social and cultural role of drugs and alcohol. We are asking questions like: why are alcohol and drugs such an important part of social life and why is it unfathomable to imagine going out and having a good time without them?

Hammered doesn’t stop there. Hammered provides alternatives. Our organization is sponsoring events here at NU and highlighting stuff going on around Boston.

Now, before anyone gets all uptight after reading last week’s article or following an uninformed description of Hammered, let me set the record straight. Hammered is not your average organization. We are not anti-anything. We are certainly not anti-alcohol and drugs. We are not here to tell you the ill-effects of using these substances or to tell you that it’s wrong. Abdulla’s overwhelmingly positive article did contain some falsity when he wrote that Hammered is “educating students about drugs and alcohol.” This is not what we are about.

Hammered has simply chosen a social norm it is unhappy with and, rather than whine about it, we are demonstrating that you can live your life, or one night of your weekend for that matter, without drugs and alcohol. To find out more about how we are doing this, visit www.hammered.org.