Northeastern loosens testing requirements for summer term

Northeastern+announced+June+9+that+fully+vaccinated+people+will+no+longer+be+required+to+participate+in+regular+COVID-19+testing+or+complete+a+daily+wellness+check.+The+changes+go+into+effect+June+18.+

Samantha Barry

Northeastern announced June 9 that fully vaccinated people will no longer be required to participate in regular COVID-19 testing or complete a daily wellness check. The changes go into effect June 18.

Clara McCourt, news staff

In a university-wide email sent June 9, Northeastern announced new testing requirements for the summer 2021 terms, effective June 18. According to the university, the requirements are based on recent Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or CDC guidance and “may be revised for the fall 2021 term.”

Chancellor and Senior Vice President for Learning Ken Henderson said in the email that fully vaccinated individuals are “no longer required to participate in regular COVID-19 testing and no longer need to complete the Daily Wellness check on a daily basis.”

This follows the university’s recent switch from a three-day testing cadence to a seven-day testing cadence. Unvaccinated individuals who come to campus one or more times per week are still required to adhere to the seven-day testing period, according to Henderson.

Fully vaccinated students are required to self-report their COVID-19 vaccination status on a new form in conjunction with Northeastern’s vaccine mandate

While the changes are not guaranteed to continue into the fall semester, Henderson said in the email that the university “will continue to update the community on testing requirements as we determine the protocols that best promote campus health and safety.”

This change in protocol is a step forward in Northeastern’s plan for a normal fall semester, following Northeastern’s updated mask-wearing rules and density restrictions effective May 29.