Northeastern announces NUflex update for fall semester

The+university+updated+its+NUflex+policy+for+the+upcoming+fall+2021+semester.+

Kenneal Patterson

The university updated its NUflex policy for the upcoming fall 2021 semester.

Jessica Silverman, news staff

In an email to students Monday, Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs David Madigan announced that eligible students can continue remote learning for the fall 2021 semester if they face issues with “travel restrictions, co-ops, or other individual circumstances.”

In March, the university detailed plans for a “normal fall semester,” which included in-person classes, clubs and events. With some students unable to return to normal campus activities due to a number of circumstances, students can now request remote learner status. 

“To accommodate those needs, Northeastern will continue to offer a limited number of remote courses for students who are unable to be in the classroom,” Madigan wrote.

In order to apply for remote learner status, undergraduate students must complete the Remote Learning Request form by July 23, while graduate students must complete the form by Aug. 15. Remote learning status means that students will take Hybrid NUflex courses remotely or fully online courses until Dec. 31.

Due to limited availability, courses like labs and studios will not be offered for remote learning. Madigan also noted that applying for remote learning status may impact a student’s financial aid and that international students currently in the United States on F-1 or J-1 visas should not request remote learner status or plan to take Hybrid NUflex classes in the fall.

Updated at 3:24 a.m. on July 11 to reflect that specifically, only those international students “present in the United States” on F-1 or J-1 visas should not request remote learner status.