Northeastern takes on Boston University for first time this season

Ethan Wayne

Northeastern women’s hockey against Providence College in 2021.

Annah Chaya, news staff

For the first time in the 2021-22 season, Northeastern University (2-1-0) traveled to Walter Brown Arena to play Boston University (3-0-0).

The last time the two teams faced off in Walter Brown Arena was Feb. 11, 2020 for the Beanpot title, which resulted in a 3-3 tie in overtime.   

The first period started out with BU winning the face off and taking it straight to the goal, firing the first shot of the game within the first minute. NU goalie junior Gwyneth Philips caught the puck in her pads in an amazing save to keep the game 0-0. 

Philips continued to excel throughout the first period, saving 14 shots on goal. She caught numerous flying pucks, including a shot from Terrier captain senior Kaleigh Donnelly after an intense minute of fast paced action in front of the Huskies’ net. 

The first period ended with two NU players, junior left defense Megan Carter and sophomore left defense Lily Yovetich, gaining penalties for tripping causing a power play for BU. 

The second period started off strong with the Huskies utilizing the backboards while trying to stay on the Terriers’ end of the rink. 

Captain and graduate student Brooke Hobson and Carter were given penalties for elbowing and tripping. This caused a four-on-six disadvantage for NU resulting in a BU score from sophomore Julia Shaunessy, assisted by senior Jesse DeVito. 

NU played the next few minutes with a vengeance and attempted to score multiple times. However, junior Peyton Anderson made her way to the penalty box for high sticking resulting in a scuffle in front of NU’s net ending with another BU score by freshman Christina Vote, assisted by juniors Julia Nearis and Brooke Ersoy. This goal quickly went under review by the referees and linespeople due to the amount of traffic in front of the net who then deemed the 2-0 score accurate.

Soon after, BU had their second penalty of the night, with senior Mackenna Parker receiving two minutes for tripping. While on the power play, NU scored their first goal of the night with senior right wing Maureen Murphy being assisted by assistant captain and graduate student Andrea Renner who plays left wing. 

The third period started out with the Huskies fighting to tie the game. 

Carter was injured during the third period, resulting in her leaving the ice. 

With both teams being undefeated at this point in the season, the third period was filled with players traveling up and down the rink trying to score. 

During the last minute of regulation, the Huskies pulled Philips to add an extra player on the ice. This allowed for them to keep the puck primarily on the Terriers end of the rink. However, it was not enough and BU won the game 2-1. 

The three stars of the game were NU’s Murphy and BU’s Shaunessy and Kate Stuart. This title is chosen by a third party and usually given to the best players of the game. 

The Huskies go on a road trip for the next three games and will not return back to Matthews Arena until Oct. 24, where they will play the College of the Holy Cross.