Minutemen upend Huskies

AMHERST – A theme is developing in the Northeastern locker room. The Huskies, who are now 2-12-1 in Hockey East, dropped their latest Hockey East game losing to Amherst 3-2 after holding a 2-0 lead.

Even with the loss, the Huskies still lay claim to the 8th and final playoff spot in Hockey East as Lowell dropped a 3-2 decision to the Black Bears in Orono.

Jeff Lang scored the game winner with 9:06 left in the game on a puck that flew up into the air and dropped behind NU goalie Keni Gibson.

“I’m sure that’s not one Don Cahoon drew up with x’s and o’s,” said Northeastern coach Bruce Crowder. “Our problem this year has been our inability to make a 2-0 lead a 3-0 or 4-0 lead. We had some chances to make it 3-2.”

The Huskies indeed had the chance as, after killing off a two-man advantage, the Huskies fought with the puck in UMass’ end and the puck squirted out to Tim Judy who rung a shot off the cross bar and the puck sailed out.

Trevor Reschny in the second period beat two Minutemen to the puck and then fended them off to get a great scoring chance in front of Gabe Winer but the puck whiffed wide of the net.

UMass tied the game on a shot from on front by Greg Mauldin. Mauldin received a pass out in front of Gibson and wristed on over the goaltender’s right shoulder.

NU held a 2-0 lead until 15:00 minutes left in the second period when NU defenseman Brian Sullivan tried to keep the puck in UMass’ zone only to have it sent out and ahead to Mauldin who missed on a breakaway backhand on Gibson only to be followed up by Stephen Werner’s rebound.

Northeastern got off to a good start as, just 2:40 into the game, Ryan scored on the power play when Tim Judy fed him from the point to the top of the near face off circle and beat UMass goalie Winer to make it 1-0.

The Huskies would score again late in the first period. Jon Awe took the puck off the far boards in the Minutemen’s zone and flipped a touch pass to a streaking Chuck Tomes who deposited the puck between Winer’s legs to make it 2-0. NU was outshot in the first period, 6-4.

Husky Notes: The goal was Tomes’ first collegiate point. The P.A. announcer announced the goal as Chuck “Toombes.” The Huskies remain without star forward Mike Morris who continues to nurse a third degree concussion. The Huskies are 1-4 without Morris. Amherst is just 12-25-7 all time vs. Northeastern and just 3-19-2 at Matthews Arena where the two teams will finish their season series tomorrow night.