Northeastern Crime Log

By Kaitlin Thaney

Crime Log Entry of the Week

Sunday, Feb. 16 4 a.m.

A cab driver reported picking up three people and driving them to the West Campus area. When the three people got out of the cab on Parker Street, they pushed the driver to the ground and stole his money. The three people ran into West Campus A. Boston and NU Police responded and, with the help of the community receptionist on duty, were able to locate two of the three men. They went to the apartment of one of the men and he said that he had been there for a couple of hours. When brought downstairs the cab driver immediately identified the 20-year-old male student as the one who robbed him. The student lives on the fourth floor of West Campus A. The other person was identified as being in the cab but not for robbing the man. The third party was spotted and he too was identified as not robbing the driver, but riding in the car. The police found the third person to be wanted on a failure to appear in court for motor vehicle violations. Joseph Corsetti, a 19-year-old male student at West Roxbury High School, was arrested.

Tuesday, Feb. 11 8:30 a.m. A female graduate student reported that her car window was broken into while it was parked in the North Parking Lot. Nothing was reported missing from the vehicle.

3:15 p.m. A 20-year-old female student reported her cell phone missing after leaving it in the laundry room of West Campus A on Sunday, Feb. 9. She said it was left there between 8 and 9 p.m. and was gone when she returned.

8 p.m. A 19-year-old male student was in Stetson West for dinner when he identified someone in the lobby of the building as the person who attempted to rob him the previous Sunday around midnight. The 19-year-old was not a resident of Stetson West. He called the NU Police but the man was gone when the officers arrived. It was suspected that he had entered the dormitory.

The student reports that the previous Sunday, Feb. 9, he was walking between The Fenway and Hemenway St. when he was approached by two men, one which placed his arm around the student in a friendly manner. The man then said that he had a knife and attempted to rob the student. The student got away and made an anonymous phone call to the police. He didn’t talk to the police directly until Tuesday when he spotted the perpetrator in the lobby. The NU Police identified the suspect, who was a student. While the suspect was being questioned, he exhibited symptoms of a psychological and emotional condition that prompted the officers to take the student to the hospital. The suspect was admitted into the hospital and the investigation is on-going. No charges have been filed yet.

8 p.m. In the men’s locker room in the Marino Fitness Center, a 19-year-old male student reported his jacket and cell phone stolen.

Wednesday, Feb. 12 Noon A Resident Assistant in West Campus E found a bong in a fifth floor room during routine room inspections. The bong belongs to the 22-year-old male resident of the room who will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

4 p.m. A 22-year-old male student had left his book bag unattended the previous evening at the InfoCommons in Snell Library between 6-7 p.m. When he returned, he found $240 missing along with credit cards, license, and various ID’s. When he called to cancel his credit card at 9 p.m. that night, the company informed him of a $600 charge made earlier. Detectives are working with security at the Braintree South Shore Plaza, where the sale took place. Two people were identified that were with the other suspect. The police will be charging the two people detained and will handle any prosecution.

Friday, Feb. 14 9:30 a.m. A very large hole was reported in the third floor corridor of Smith Hall.

9:30 a.m. An RA inspecting Burstein Hall found a bong in a fourth floor apartment during routine room inspections. The owner of the bong is a 22-year-old female student who will be referred to OSCCR.

10 a.m. An RA in Burstein Hall discovered a bong and alcohol belonging to a 20-year-old male resident on the second floor of the building. He will be referred to OSCCR. This was also during room inspection.

11 a.m. An RA found a bong in a fourth floor apartment in Rubenstein Hall. The residents of the apartment are both male, one 19 and the other 22. This was again during routine room inspection. The students will be referred to OSCCR.

2:30 p.m. Media Services Staff reported components missing from a couple of classrooms in Dodge Hall from audio-visual equipment closets.

Saturday, Feb. 15 8 p.m. NUPD were notified by the Boston Police of a 20-year-old male Northeastern student that was in a locked building at Simmons College. The student was under the influence of some sort of controlled substance, according to the police. He was arrested for trespassing and is said not to live on Northeastern campus. The police believe that he was under the influence of cocaine and possibly had some cocaine in his possession. The student will be referred to OSCCR.

9:30 p.m. An RA detected the odor of marijuana on the fourth floor of White Hall. The RA and an officer went to investigate and found marijuana residue and prescription medication that was not properly marked. The resident of the room was an 18-year-old male student, he will be referred to OSCCR.

Sunday, Feb. 16 2:30 a.m. After being heavily intoxicated and violently ill, an 18-year-old female student was sent to the hospital. She will be referred to OSCCR.

2:30 p.m. Fresh graffiti was discovered on the second floor of Stetson West.

Monday, Feb. 17 12:30 a.m. A 19-year-old male student who was away for the weekend returned to his off campus apartment to find his XBOX and some games missing. The Northeastern leased property on Hemenway Street was previously entered by his former roommate. After hearing that his former roommate had inquired about whether or not the 19-year-old would be around for the weekend, NUPD tracked down the student. The student admitted to using his key which he had not turned in yet to enter the apartment and take the ex-roommates property. It is suspected that these actions were made out of revenge over previous occurrences between the two. The resident of the apartment did not press criminal charges. The student who stole the property returned the other student’s belongings and will be referred to OSCCR.

9 a.m. A 21-year-old male student reported that his former roommate assaulted him by spraying aerosol spray in his face while making biased motivated remarks. The alleged assailant was previously reported by the victim for potential code violations to OSCCR and was already investigated. There is a possibility that the assault was out of revenge. The 21-year-old student does not want to press charges and does not want to exacerbate the ongoing dispute. OSCCR is currently dealing with the situation.