Northeastern Crime Log

By Kaitlin Thaney

Crime Log Entry of the Week

Thursday, May 1 10 p.m.

A person leaving the library set off the book security device, which indicated that an item from the library was still in their bag. When asked to wait, the person ran and left their bag outside. Inside the bag were tools and a soap dispenser, on which the library had put security tags on to help stop this problem. There were forms of identification in the bag, which led officers to a student who admitted to taking the dispenser. He could not explain why he had stolen it. The matter is still under investigation and the student’s roommates will be interviewed. The student, a 22-year old full time undergraduate student, has a part time job on campus at the library and will be referred to OSCCR immediately. He may be criminally charged for this offense.

Tuesday, April 29 1:15 p.m. A couple weeks ago, staff members in Churchill Hall’s cafeteria reported that they thought a man who frequented the cafeteria had been stealing food. The man was questioned and denied the allegations. In speaking with the man, a Public Safety detective thought that the name given by the man seemed familiar. The detective checked out the name and it was discovered that the name was an alias that had been used by this man previously. The man, whose real name is Ansari Mustafa, 39, had violated probation and had a warrant out for his arrest. The Northeastern Police had arrested him three times between 1995 and 1996, and hadn’t encountered him since. He was previously arrested for trespassing and shoplifting in the bookstore. On the same day, Mustafa approached an officer and presented him with documents showing that he had enrolled for classes for this summer quarter. He had been banned from campus earlier and used these documents to say that he had a right to be on university grounds. The officer then arrested Mustafa for violating probation in the Boston area and for an outstanding default warrant for prior larceny charges in Quincy. Mustafa was told after this arrest that he was still banned from campus grounds until at least the beginning of the summer quarter, if he did in fact remain enrolled. He will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR) and his student status will be reviewed before the summer quarter.

Wednesday, April 30 9:30 p.m. A 19-year-old male resident of Stetson West reported that his laptop and Playstation system had been stolen from his room earlier that evening. He said that the room was left unattended and unlocked from approximately 4-9 p.m.

Thursday, May 1 11 a.m. The manager of Wollaston’s at the Marino Center reported that he had detained a shoplifter who had left without paying for $5 worth of yogurt. The shoplifter was an 18-year-old female student at the Mass. College of Art who has now been banned from entering either Wollaston’s establishments.

3:30 p.m. A female staff member in Nightingale Hall left her office unattended and unlocked on the afternoon of April 28 and when she returned, her wallet and Palm Pilot were missing. Her wallet contained $60, credit cards, and her driver’s license.

4:15 p.m. A 20-year-old male student reported that the previous day while he was in the financial aid office, $30, credit cards and identification had been taken from his wallet. His wallet was on the counter in the office for about five minutes. When he called to cancel his credit card he was told that it had already been used.

Friday, May 2 1 a.m. A female student called from her residence hall to report that an hour earlier while walking on Huntington Avenue across from the YMCA she was pushed from behind. She believes that two or three men pushed her. The push caused her to hit her face on the sidewalk and chip one of her teeth. Campus Police drove her to the hospital.

6:30 a.m. A 20-year-old male resident of Willis Hall reported that overnight someone entered his unlocked room and stole his custom-made bicycle. The Community Receptionist on duty recalled seeing three men around 4 a.m. leaving with a bicycle. The CR remembered who they were from when they were signed in. They were not students at Northeastern. The matter is still under investigation.

11 a.m. Residential Staff in Speare Hall reported ongoing incidents of vandalism in the building. It seemed that it was coming from a dispute between residents of the building. The vandalism was offensive graffiti in the common corridors and on students’ doors. The identity of the vandals is still unknown.

Noon Staff at the Curry Student Center reported that a large Northeastern banner was missing from a third floor room in the building.

2 p.m. A 20-year-old female student from Willis Hall reported her Walkman missing from her room. She has not seen the Walkman in about three days and said that her roommates frequently leave their room unlocked.

3 p.m. A staff member at Holmes Hall reported her wallet missing after leaving her office unlocked on April 30. In the wallet was $70, a driver’s license, and credit cards. Two of the credit cards had been used since the wallet disappeared.

11 p.m. A Resident Assistant at 122 St. Stephen St. detected the odor of marijuana coming from an apartment in the building. The RA informed NUPD. An officer went with the RA to the room where a 20-year-old male resident, a 19-year-old male student and an 18-year-old female student were. There was a fan at the window and a rolled up towel under the door. The resident admitted to smoking in the room and turned over the remaining marijuana. All three students will be referred to OSCCR.

11:30 p.m. An RA in Stetson West suspected that residents in a first floor room were smoking marijuana. An officer discovered five 19-year-old males and one 18-year-old male. A pipe and marijuana were confiscated and all of the students will be referred to OSCCR.

Saturday, May 3 4 a.m. A female student from a fourth floor room at White Hall reported that an man was loudly knocking on her door for a long time, wanting her to let him in. An officer arrived to find a 19-year-old man, who was not a student at Northeastern, lying on the floor outside of the room. He identified himself and said that he was looking for the other resident of the room, who was not there at the time. He claimed that he met the other roommate over the Internet and had arranged to come and visit her. A female resident, who claims that she did not know who the man was, admits to signing him in earlier in the evening. The man was escorted out of the building and the female resident who signed him in will be referred to OSCCR for violating guest privileges.

6:30 a.m. The Boston Police Department informed the NUPD that three Northeastern students had been apprehended for possession of alcohol and for disturbing the peace. The students had become disorderly when the Boston Police were dispatched to a private apartment on the other side of the Fenway to break up a party. Two of the students were 20 years old, and the other was 19. All of the students were male and will all be referred to OSCCR.

Sunday, May 4 4:15 a.m. NUPD was called to 204 Hemingway St. on a report that a student that was said to be very ill from alleged drug and alcohol abuse. The 21-year-old male student was intoxicated and sick. There was evidence of marijuana use in the apartment. He became conscious and told the EMTs that it was his twenty-first birthday and he had consumed alcohol and used marijuana. He was taken to the hospital and will be referred to OSCCR.

1 p.m. A female student reported that a mirror in the exterior of her car had been broken off when she had parked it in the Columbus Parking Lot. It had been parked there since Friday afternoon.

6:30 p.m. A 20-year-old female student reported her new bicycle stolen from a fence outside of 106 St. Stephen St. It was locked up approximately a half hour earlier.

Monday, May 5 2:30 a.m. Northeastern Police joined the Boston Police at Massachusetts Avenue near Berklee School of Music where three male students were being detained for tipping over trash cans. Two of the students were 18-years-old and one was 19-years-old. When NU police officers arrived, Boston police officers had the students picking up the trash. A Berklee student also said that the three students had tried to start a fight with he and his friend earlier that night and the Berklee student was hit. The Northeastern students appeared to be under the influence of alcohol and were escorted back the White Hall where they live. The will all be referred to OSCCR.

9 a.m. The Architecture Department reported a sign that was outside the Egan Research Center missing around 7 p.m. on May 1. The sign was advertising a free lecture series being held.

11 a.m. A staff member in Holmes Hall arrived to work to discover their CD player missing from a shelf in their office.

2 p.m. A student on co-op working in an office in 106 St. Stephen St. left their bag unattended during their lunch break. When they returned, the bag was missing. The bag contained their cell phone. The student called the cell phone and someone answered. The matter is still under investigation.

3 p.m. Residential Staff in West Campus A reported that a monitor in the computer lab in the building had been stolen.

4 p.m. The Residential Director in Burstein Hall reported confiscating a bong and vodka from a room during standard room inspections. The resident of the room was not there and will be interviewed at a later time.

9 p.m. A 20-year-old female student reported that when she and her friend were walking along the footbridge from Columbus Avenue to campus, that two juvenile boys were verbally harassing them. The boys were across the high fence in the Ruggles T-station driveway. They were making obscene remarks and followed the women down the stairs. The boys then left the women alone.