Northeastern Crime Log

By Kaitlin Thaney

Crime Log Entry of the Week

Wednesday, May 14 8:30 a.m.

A 40-year old woman with no affiliation to Northeastern reported that her 18-year-old daughter had assaulted her and taken her wallet. The two had been on their way to a high school in Medford and had been arguing during the car ride. The mother works for the YMCA on Huntington Avenue. She returned to campus with her daughter still in the car because the daughter refused to get out and go to school. As the mother parked her car at the YMCA, her daughter struck her and took her pocket book. The mother suffered no injuries and did not press criminal charges. She is working with the Medford Police to locate and issue a restraining order against her daughter. The daughter had used the mother’s car without her permission or a driver’s license earlier that year, which was also reported to the Medford Police.

Tuesday, May 13 10 a.m. A staff member reported two male juveniles in the rear of Melvin Hall that were acting in a suspicious manner. Officers questioned them and determined that the juveniles, 15 and 14-years-old, had no valid reason for being on campus. The 14-year-old is from Dorchester and was wanted by the Department of Youth Services. He was taken into custody and turned over to DYS.

1:30 p.m. A female staff member in Mugar Life Sciences Building reported her bag stolen after leaving her office unlocked for about an hour. The bag contained $20 and several credit cards.

Wednesday, May 14 11 p.m. A caller reported that beer cans and bottles were being thrown out of a window of Smith Hall into the alley. Officers went into the building and encountered several students in a third floor room with underage guests drinking. There were nine people in the room, six students ranging from 18 to 20 years of age, and three male guests from Miami, Fla. The visitors were told to leave the building for the remainder of their stay in Boston. Officers confiscated two 30-packs of beer and two students volunteered to go pick up the trash in the alley. They admitted to playing drinking games in the room but not to throwing bottles out of the window. The students will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Thursday, May 15 11 p.m. A 21-year-old female student from Davenport A reported that $200 had been stolen from her desk. She said that she leaves the front door to her apartment unlocked all the time. She claims to have last seen the money a week earlier.

Friday, May 16 8:30 a.m. An 18-year-old female student from Speare Hall reported receiving harassing Instant Messages on her America Online account. She called the AOL Company and they told her to report the incident to the police and that they could not provide any information without a police report and a subpoena.

*It was brought to the attention of the Northeastern Police Department by a university administrator that over the past week disputes and harassment has occurred between two groups of students. The administrator said that the students allegedly being harassed had confided in him and that there had already been a couple of encounters. In one case it is alleged that a knife was shown and there are allegations that verbal threats have been made. NUPD will further investigate issue.

Noon A 21-year-old male student was walking along Park Drive when he was approached by three juveniles who stole his cell phone. The juveniles ran towards campus and were later stopped by an officer in front of the Ruggles T station. One of the three teenagers threw something into a dumpster on Forsyth St. before being apprehended. Two of the juveniles were 15-years-old and the other one was 14, all male. The item thrown into the trash can was the student’s cell phone, which was returned. The three juveniles were arrested.

1 p.m. A 19-year-old male student reported that the previous night around 11:30 p.m., he had left his bag containing his Palm Pilot on the fourth floor of the library, and when he returned, it was gone.

2:30 p.m. Two waitresses from Stars restaurant on Huntington Ave. reported their bags stolen from behind the cash register during the lunch shift. One bag contained $400, a cell phone and several credit cards. The other bag had $10, a cell phone and credit cards.

5:15 p.m. A 30-year old female Northeastern employee reported being robbed after leaving a store on Tremont Street behind 780 Columbus Avenue. She was shoved to the ground after being asked for a cigarette, and her bag, and the money from her recently-cashed payroll check, was stolen. The Boston Police Department will head the investigation.

5:30 p.m. A 20-year-old female student from Willis Hall reported that her entire CD collection, an estimated 65 CDs, was stolen from her apartment. She said that she always leaves her door unlocked and does not know when the CDs were last there.

5:30 p.m. A woman who was eating in the Marino Center food court had her wallet taken from her purse. She has no affiliation with Northeastern. The wallet contained several credit cards and $15. When she called to cancel her credit card, she was told that it had already been used in an ATM on Huntington Avenue.

Saturday, May 17 12:30 a.m. Residential Life Staff from Stetson West reported that students coming from a second floor room were disorderly and intoxicated. A male and a female Resident Assistant went to the door to ask them to lower the noise level and discovered a 20-year-old male student with his 17-year-old brother, who was visiting. Both were intoxicated. The student became unruly and crude with the female RA. The younger brother was removed from the building and an adult relative picked him up later that night. The student will be referred to OSCCR.

1:30 a.m. The Boston Police Department called for assistance at 480 Massachusetts Ave. where they broke up a party on a noise complaint and arrested six Northeastern students. Three students that were arrested were 21 and very disorderly. Two of the 21-year-olds were arrested for having the party with underage drinking. The other three men arrested were 20-years old. All six students will be referred to OSCCR.

8:30 a.m. Residential Life staff at White Hall reported extensive vandalism in the men’s room on the fourth floor of the building.

Sunday, May 18 4 a.m. NUPD was called to Smith Hall where a 19-year-old male was found sleeping outside of a room in the corridor. He admitted to drinking that night but said he was not intoxicated. He was visiting a student and when he left the room to use the bathroom, the door closed and locked behind him. There was no answer when he knocked on the door, so he went to sleep. Officers and ResLife staff entered the room to find the resident passed out from alcohol consumption. He was taken to the hospital for treatment.

1:30 p.m. An alumnus and a guest reported their wallets missing after leaving them in their bags at the Northeastern Boathouse at the Charles River. One wallet contained $40 with several credit cards and anther had $100 and credit cards as well. When calls were made to cancel the cards, it was reported that $600 had already been charged to one of the cards.

6:30 p.m. A student reported finding a marijuana pipe on his desk that he believed to belong to his roommate. He had told his roommate earlier when he caught him smoking in the room that he did not want it done in the room. The pipe was confiscated and the roommate will be referred to OSCCR.

8 p.m. A 20-year-old male student reported visiting another student at 407 Huntington Ave. and was passing around his digital camera to take pictures. He left the apartment to let some more people into the room, and when he came upstairs the camera was gone and so was someone from the party. Officers questioned the person that left the party who was also last seen with the camera, and he said that he gave the camera to another girl. The girl whom he said had it left for South Africa the next day.

Monday, May 19 9:30 a.m. A female staff member from Lake Hall reported finding her office unlocked when she came to work. The last person that was in the office the night before claims to have locked the door on the way out. There was no sign of forced entry. The only thing reported missing from the office was the computer mouse.

4 p.m. A 19-year-old male student reported his wallet stolen from Ryder Hall after leaving it on a copy machine in the foyer for about five minutes. The wallet containing $8 and several credit cards was gone.

5:30 p.m. Chartwells staff from the Curry Student Center Food Court reported a juvenile that was stealing food from one of the kiosks. The teenager was not apprehended.

Tuesday, May 20 4:30 a.m. Campus police were called to Emmanuel College where a female Northeastern student was found intoxicated and sleeping inside one of the college’s buildings. She was located by a night custodian and had no identification with her. She said she had been drinking at a bar near Fenway Park earlier that night when her friends left her. She became disoriented and ended up at Emmanuel. Police took her to Beth Israel Hospital to be checked. She will be referred to OSCCR.