Northeastern Crime Log

By Kaitlin Thaney

Crime Log Entry of the Week

Monday, May 26 2 a.m.

A female student reported that as she was pulling into a parking spot on Parker Street in front of West Village, a man was trying to back up into the same spot. The man got out of his car and approached her vehicle swinging a golf club. Two hours later, the woman called to report that she had seen him again. He was identified as a 21-year-old male student who admitted to being angry, but denied allegations of using a golf club. He will be referred to OSCCR and may be charged by the Boston Police Department.

Tuesday, May 20 5 p.m. The Waterville Valley Police of New Hampshire called for assistance from the Northeastern Police Department in identifying possible Northeastern students who rented a facility in Waterville Valley for a party. They were looking into damage in the facility. The Waterville Valley Police had reason to believe that Northeastern students rented the area for a sorority event. The investigation will continue in this case. The people named are indeed Northeastern students and there will be more to follow as the summer progresses.

Wednesday, May 21 9 a.m. The parking attendant in the Columbus Parking Garage discovered a car jacked up with the wheels removed. The attendant notified the owner of the vehicle, who was a Northeastern student, who claimed that he did not remove the tires. The jack used did not belong to the owner of the car.

11 a.m. The manager at Wollastons in the Marino Center detained a 19-year-old female student for shoplifting. The student had paid for certain items but was seen putting Alka Seltzer in her bag. She claimed that she had forgotten about the item. She will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

2 p.m. The manager of Wollastons at the Marino Center called to report that he had detained another shoplifter, this time a 19-year-old male student, who had been caught taking cheese and eye drops. He will be referred to OSCCR.

4 p.m. Officers went into Speare Hall to investigate a report that a banned, former student may have entered the building and was signed in. The Northeastern Police discovered a different person, who was a guest to the university, with the same name of the banned student. When the officers were in the room where the guest was, they saw cocaine out in plain view in the room. The resident of the room was questioned when she returned from class, as well as two other female students. The male guest, 20, went to a school in central Massachusetts and was issued a trespassing warrant. The resident who signed the guest in was immediately moved to a different residence hall. The investigation continued as to who acquired the cocaine and possibly was using it or planned on it. NUPD anticipate filing criminal charges against two people for the distribution and use of cocaine. The three Northeastern students involved will be referred to OSCCR.

Thursday, May 22 1:30 a.m. A 19-year-old female student reported her book bag missing after leaving it outside her apartment in West Campus C for approximately 15 minutes the night before. The bag was left unattended around 10 p.m. the previous evening.

8 p.m. Residential staff in White Hall reported a new hole in the wall on the fourth floor of the building.

9:30 p.m. Residential staff in Speare Hall reported new vandalism in the building.

Friday, May 23 3 a.m. The fire alarm in the high-rise wing of West Campus A was set off and a fire extinguisher was discharged in the corridor on an upper floor.

Noon A staff member in Cullinane Hall reported his briefcase missing after leaving his office unattended for about half an hour in the morning.

8 p.m. A Resident Assistant in White Hall detected the odor of marijuana coming from a room on the third floor. NUPD responded and spoke with three out of the four people who were in the room. An 18-year-old female resident of the room admitted that she and her friends were smoking in the room, which explained the fan in the window and the door being taped. A 19-year-old male student that was in the room for questioning denied the allegations and said that he had been smoking tobacco. The fourth student, a 19-year-old male who did not live in the residence hall, was questioned and said that they were only smoking tobacco. A female student that was there when the RA came in said that she had just arrived and did not partake in smoking that night. All four students will be referred to OSCCR.

Sunday, May 25 1:30 a.m. An RA in Davenport Commons was grabbed by a student after telling another male student, who was under the influence, that they were going to have an officer check on him later on. The student told the RA that his friend was fine and the police did not need to come check on him. Officers responded and spoke to the intoxicated student, who said it was his 21st birthday. After being examined, the student was allowed to return to his apartment for the night. The other student acknowledged interfering with the RA and will be referred to OSCCR. The RA said he did not wish to press criminal charges against the student.

2 a.m. A graduate student returning home to his apartment at 407 Huntington Ave. called for assistance from NUPD after believing his apartment was broken into. The student did not enter the apartment until after the police had made sure that no unwanted parties were inside. Nothing was taken from the apartment.

6:30 a.m. A Community Receptionist in Light Hall reported that a guest had gained access to the building without being signed in. The man was trying to contact a resident of the building and was unsuccessful. As the officers responded, the fire alarm went off and the man came downstairs with a discharged fire extinguisher in his hands. He appeared to be intoxicated. The man had no logical reason for having the extinguisher. A fire alarm pull station was also activated which the man denied having a part in. Ryan Dayton, 20, of Conn., a student that lives off-campus, was arrested for the possession of a controlled substance, Ritalin, which he had no prescription for and admitted to taking with alcohol.

1:30 p.m. The manager of Wollastons at the Marino Center detained a 50-year-old woman who was trying to take Alka Seltzer and pain medication. She was banned from the establishment.

5 p.m. Staff reported two juvenile males trying to break into the cash register in the Hayden/Richards lobby. They fled soon after. They did not get into the drawer or take any money that may have been in the drawer.

Monday, May 26 10 a.m. A student reported that a middle-aged man was sleeping in the men’s room on the fourth floor of the Snell Engineering Building. Officers awoke the man, 30-year-old Toye Oyebola, and as they were questioning him discovered that there was a default warrant for his arrest. Oyebola was arrested on an active warrant issued in Dedham for failure to appear on previous theft charges. He is believed to be homeless.