Crime Log

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, July 22

An employee of Renaissance Park office building, not affiliated with Northeastern, reported her wallet containing credit cards stolen while she was at a department luncheon outside of her office. When she returned home she canceled the credit cards and learned they had been used several times that day totaling approximately $4,000. In one store, the police apprehended videotape of the suspect using the credit card. The investigation is ongoing.

Wednesday, July 23

A student reported that a person using a computer in the cyber cafe in Snell Library was accessing pornographic Web sites. Officers questioned the individual who is not a student, and he had been warned two days earlier to stay off campus. The man, Armando Suarez, 22, of Boston was arrested for trespassing.

Thursday, July 24

A person visiting a student at West Campus reported his bicycle tires stolen, after he locked the frame of his bike in the West Campus Quad earlier that day.

Friday, July 25

10 a.m.

A manager of the on-campus food trolley in Krentzman Quad reported a plastic window was kicked in and several cans of soda and bags of potato chips were taken. No cash is kept in the trolley overnight.

Saturday, July 26

9 a.m.

A food services manager at Stetson East reported an office door had been broken into and an undetermined amount of cash was stolen. Police determined the break-in happened between 6 and 7 a.m.

10 p.m.

A 22-year-old male student reported walking through the Fens in the rear of the Museum of Fine Arts at 10 p.m. He came upon a man who displayed a knife and demanded money. After the student handed over his wallet containing $60 and credit cards, the robber fled.

Northeastern Police Department (NUPD) overheard on the police scanner that Boston Police Department (BPD) had been dispatched to Gainsborough Street after a person reported being assaulted by a man and woman with a knife. NUPD and BPD responded to discover a person not affiliated with NU had been threatened by a man and a woman. Some words had been exchanged, and the woman handed her male companion a knife. BPD arrested the man with the knife.

Sunday, July 27

NUPD received a call regarding a fight at the intersection of Columbus Avenue and Massachusetts Avenue. Upon arrival, BPD and NUPD saw a male lying in the middle of the street bloodied from a fight. There were two male students and a female friend encountered another male and female at the intersection where the argument ensued. During the argument, a female fell into the window of the pizza shop on the corner of Columbus Avenue. None of the parties involved wish to press charges. Witness accounts suggest it was a mutual fight. The two NU students involved will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCRR).

1 p.m.

A male student reported locking his bicycle by the Snell Engineering Center, when he returned later the only part of the bike still there was the front tire.

Monday, July 28

8 p.m.

A female student locked her bicycle at the Snell Quad around 6 p.m. and at 8 p.m. her bicycle was missing and the lock was still locked to the fence.

Tuesday, July 29

9 a.m.

An officer responded to an alarm that someone was tampering with a ceiling-mounted projector in Dodge Hall. The bolts were neatly removed, and officers believe the alarm scared away the thief.

Thursday, July 31

1 p.m.

Staff in Columbus Place reported a disoriented woman on the second floor. The 49-year-old woman, Elissa Ferrara, appeared under the influence of drugs and she could not explain why she was on campus. Police found hypodermic needles in her bag, but she said she was a member of the Cambridge needle exchange. She did not have the proper identification to prove her membership. Ferrara was arrested for trespassing and possession of a hypodermic needle without a prescription.

Staff from Matthews Arena reported a suspicious person selling framed pictures and claiming he was a representative from the Athletic Department. Police identified him at his vehicle and he admitted to having no affiliation with the university and left cooperatively.

4 p.m.

A officer on patrol in the Snell Quad recognized Calvin Mustafa, 39, of Boston, walking. Mustafa has been arrested several times on campus. In an effort to right himself, Mustafa enrolled in University College but was subsequently expelled because of another incident in Quincy. He was arrested again and claimed he is self-employed.

Friday, August 1

2 a.m.

An officer on patrol at the Camden foot bridge reported that when two men crossed the bridge, one of the men shattered the windshield of a vehicle. When police arrived, the suspect asked not to be arrested and said he would pay restitution. Police checked his record and he was wanted on a default warrant by the Plymouth District Court. NUPD arrested him, Adam Stone, a 24-year-old non-student on that warrant. His companion was released.

11 p.m.

An officer monitoring Columbus Lot in order to keep cars out because of repairs taking place the next morning, reported a car coming into the lot. As the officer approached the car, two males, one a student the other a guest, both 20 years old, got out of the car. One of the males threw a red plastic cup when he saw the officer. Both males admitted to drinking and were driven back to the student’s residence hall and their keys were detained until noon the next day to ensure they did not drive. The student will be referred to OSCRR.

Saturday, August 2

Noon

A Community Receptionist at 780 Columbus Ave., who had been on duty all morning, reported to his supervisor that a gray cash box had been left at the desk. The supervisor discovered that over $5,000 was contained in the box. After investigating, it was discovered the cash belonged to a rock band that had played at a local fair that day. That night, they had been signed in as a guest. Around 1 p.m., NUPD located the band and returned the money to them. They reported that $200 was missing, but the two CRs working were questioned and denied taking the money.

Another alarm was received from Dodge Hall from a ceiling-mounted projector. When police arrived they discovered the projector missing. The investigation is ongoing.

Sunday, August 3

6 p.m.

A man was arrested in the Marino Center for trying to sell incense in the lobby in order to buy a meal. The man, Charles Fort, 32, of Boston is unemployed.