Northeastern Crime Log

By Kaitlin Thaney

Wednesday, August 13 12:45 p.m. An officer outside of the Curry Student Center arrested Calvin Mustafa, a 38-year-old male from Roxbury that had recently been arrested and banned from the campus. When the officer approached him, Mustafa fled. He was apprehended and resisted arrest. The officer took Mustafa into custody, charging him with trespassing, resisting arrest and on a default warrant issued by the Boston Police Department. Mustafa is awaiting trial for taking an electronic keyboard from the Ell Building last spring.

5 p.m. A female staff member in Ryder Hall reported the theft of her wallet after leaving her office unattended and unlocked for a five minute period. Her wallet contained several credit cards, a driver’s license and $5.

Thursday, August 14 9:30 a.m. An officer came upon two men downloading pornographic information on the two computers at the information desk on the ground floor of the Curry Student Center. By questioning the men, the officer learned that one was previously banned from campus. Steven Mowring, a 19-year-old male, was arrested for trespassing. The other man was warned.

Sunday, August 17 6:30 p.m. A female student reported her car stolen after parking it in the North Lot outside of Stetson East Friday evening. The car was recovered at 11 a.m. on August 19 in Roxbury with minimal damage.

Monday, August 18 11:30 a.m. A female staff member reported her laptop, wallet and cell phone stolen after leaving her first floor office in Richards Hall unattended for approximately a half an hour. Her wallet contained $25 and several credit cards.

6 p.m. An officer noticed a man walking down Forsyth Street away from the Ruggles T station drinking a can of beer. Samuel Shavers, a 27-year-old unemployed man from Boston, was arrested on an outstanding default warrant for operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license.

Thursday, August 21 6:30 p.m. A female staff member in Lake Hall discovered her wallet missing after leaving her office unattended and unlocked. Her wallet had credit cards, her driver’s license and a small amount of cash in it.

Friday, August 22 4:30 p.m. A female student in West Campus reported the theft of her laptop and camera from her bedroom. The theft occurred between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. that day while she was out of the room. She reported that the previous night she had met a man in his 30s in a bar and let him stay the night in her apartment. He was still in the apartment after she left for work at 8 a.m. and was gone when she returned. The full name of the man is not known.

Monday, August 25 2 p.m. A female graduate student reported her backpack missing from a graduate assistant office in Nightingale Hall. Her backpack contained her cell phone, wallet, $20 and some papers.

3:30 p.m. The Audio-Visual Services Department reported a DVD player missing from a classroom in Dodge Hall.

8:30 p.m. The staff at the Law School reported three computers stolen. The computers are thought to have been taken when almost all of the people in the building were out that night at an end-of-semester reception.

Tuesday, August 26 1:30 p.m. A female staff member reported her purse missing after leaving her office unattended for about 10 minutes. She said that there had been a suspicious looking man around the office before she left. The purse was found in an adjacent office minus $80.

Wednesday, August 27 2:30 p.m. A 16-year-old male was arrested for assault with a knife after he and another male approached a couple of teenage males at the Ruggles T Station. The males demanded money and the teenagers’ cell phones and threatened them. One of the boys finally gave the 16-year-old a dollar. The 16-year-old drew a knife and continued to threaten the boys. As the boys were fleeing, they ran into a Northeastern police officer who caught the two instigators.

Thursday, August 28 2:30 a.m. A man walking down the Fenway saw people breaking into cars by the Museum of Fine Arts. An officer later saw the described men on the corner of Ruggles and Parker Streets. The people started to run. One of the men was apprehended with three car stereos and “burglar tools” in his bag. Wilfredo Garcia, a 32-year-old man that lives on Parker Street was detained and resisted arrest.

9 a.m. A staff member in the Behrakis building reported her laptop stolen after leaving her office unlocked and unattended. The laptop could have been taken between August 25 and 28.

3 p.m. A contractor working in Blackman Auditorium reported his tool bag missing which also had his wallet in it. The tool bag was left outside of the auditorium and had over $100 in it.

4 p.m. A pair of law students reported their bikes stolen after they had locked them both to a fence with one lock outside of Shillman Hall. The bikes were left unattended from 1 to 3 p.m. The cable was also taken.

Saturday, August 30 4 a.m. An officer discovered a 21-year-old male sleeping on a bench outside of West Village. He’d been out drinking that night and was awoken from the bench. The Northeastern Police took him to the hospital after finding him back on the bench an hour later. He will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Noon The manager at Wollastons in West Village detained a 7-year-old boy who had taken candy and gum. The manager dealt with the guardian of the child.

6 p.m. Residential staff in Davenport B and West Campus B reported their lounge televisions stolen. Neither of the staff of the buildings know when the TVs were taken or by who.

Sunday, August 31 4 p.m. An officer responded to an alarm that indicated that a ceiling projector had been tampered with in a classroom in Dodge Hall. The projector was already stolen when the officer arrived.

Monday, September 1 Noon Residential staff confiscated a bong and a BB gun from a leased apartment at 16 Westland Ave. during routine inspections. The 21-year-old male resident admitted that the items were his and he will be referred to OSCCR.

Friday, September 5 4 p.m. A man with no affiliation with Northeastern reported his bag stolen while he was eating in the Marino Center food court. He had left the bag underneath his chair for about an hour while he was in the food court. The bag had cash and a CD player in it.

Saturday, September 6 12:30 p.m. A female student reported her bike stolen from the front step of her apartment at 319 Huntington Avenue. She said that she had locked the bike a half hour earlier with a kryptonite U-lock. The lock and the bike were missing.

1 p.m. The Northeastern Baha Club, an off-roading vehicle club for engineering students, reported two two-way radios stolen from their club office in Richards Hall. The office was left unattended.

9:30 p.m. The Northeastern Police received an alarm telling them that a smoke detector had been tampered with in a West Village apartment. Two officers went to the apartment and after knocking and receiving no response, got a key to the apartment. The officers could smell marijuana in the room. A joint and a bag with marijuana residue was confiscated from the 20-year-old male resident of the apartment. There were also three freshmen in the room. The four students will all be referred to OSCCR.

11 p.m. The police received an alarm that a smoke alarm had been tampered with at an apartment in 780 Columbus Ave. An officer went to investigate and found that the smoke detector was missing. The boyfriend of the female resident said that the smoke detector was missing when they moved in to the room. Tamper reports show that the smoke detector had been removed that night. On Sunday morning, an officer went back to the apartment to further question the resident. The boyfriend admitted to tampering with the smoke detector and said that it was in a drawer. The female resident claimed that she did not know he removed it and she will be referred to OSCCR.

Sunday, September 7 3:30 a.m. NUPD received a call that a woman was passed out in the lobby of Stetson East. The 18-year-old freshman was intoxicated after going to a party that night. When she returned to campus she was disoriented and did not know where to go. An officer escorted her back to her building, Stetson West. She will be referred to OSCCR.

4 a.m. At a Mission Hill party, five Northeastern students were apprehended for public drinking even though they were of age. Another student was caught carrying a case of beer. All of the students will be referred to OSCCR. An additional two students and one Northeastern alumnus were caught for having a loud party and will be summoned. They are all being referred to OSCCR as well. On Pontiac Street in Mission Hill two other students were warned and are waiting to be summoned. They will be referred to OSCCR. A number of other students were arrested by the Boston Police Department from other schools in the Boston area.

*In Massachusetts it is against the law to drink in any public area, whether you are over 21 or not. The Boston Police Department is now doing neighborhood sweeps looking for those publicly drinking.

Crime Log Entry of the Week Tuesday, August 19 Noon

A 22-year-old female student learned after receiving her monthly checking account statement that several checks were stolen from her checkbook and cashed for a significant amount of money. The student said that she has not used the checkbook since last September and keeps it in her desk drawer. She had no idea when they could have been taken but admitted to taping over the lock on the outside door to her apartment and keeping the room open for the entire year.