Northeastern Crime Log

Tuesday, September 16 Noon A staff member in Behrakis Health and Science Center came upon a man going through a purse in an empty, unlocked office. The man provided an excuse and left the office after the staff member confronted him. There was nothing reported missing from the purse and the man could not be found in the building.

Wednesday, September 17 12:30 a.m. An officer, while patrolling Gainsborough Street, discovered a 21-year-old male student urinating in the street at the corner of St. Stephens Street and Gainsborough Street. He will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Noon The yearbook staff reported several cameras missing from their office in the Curry Student Center. The cameras are thought to have been taken between June and September of this year. One or two of the cameras are university property and the other missing cameras are personally owned.

A person visiting a Northeastern student over the weekend in West Campus reported a cell phone stolen. It was believed to have been left in West Campus somewhere.

10:30 p.m. A 19-year-old male student living at 122 St. Stephen St. reported a middle-aged man walking into his unlocked apartment when he and his roommate were home. The man asked for a student and then left. The man provided a name that does not match a student at Northeastern.

Thursday, September 18 5 p.m. A female student, who had previously reported inappropriate behavior by another female resident that resulted in disciplinary actions, reported receiving a harassing phone call. It is apparent that the call was made from a friend of the student who was sanctioned. An additional charge will be brought to OSCCR against the student sanctioned for the phone call.

6 p.m. A staff member in Behrakis Health and Science Center came upon a suspicious looking man who said that he was a cleaner in the building. The man was not on the cleaning staff based on the description provided.

Friday, September 19 12:15 a.m. A Resident Assistant in Stetson West saw a 19-year-old male resident stumbling down the corridor of the residence hall. The RA followed the student to his room and found that the student had urinated the bed and was sleeping on the floor. He was taken to the hospital and will be referred to OSCCR.

1:45 a.m. An 18-year-old male student was found passed out in a puddle of his own vomit in the first floor ladies’ room in Speare Hall. The student lived on the second floor of the building and was taken to the hospital. He will be referred to OSCCR.

5 p.m. A 20-year-old male student reported parking his mo-ped outside Stetson East on Sept. 14 and discovered it missing when he returned for it on Sept. 19. The chain that was locking it outside the building was said to be lightweight and inexpensive.

9:30 p.m. An officer patrolling campus came upon a group of four men outside of Kariotis Hall huddled together in a group smoking marijuana. There were two 19-year-old males, one 18-year-old male and one 20-year-old male, none of whom were affiliated with the university. A small amount of marijuana was confiscated and the men were escorted off campus.

Saturday, September 20 Midnight A student event manager was arrested after a confrontation with the DJ working at the party at the John D. O’Bryant African American Institute. The student event manager had noticed earlier that the back door to the building was open and suspected that people had been sneaking into the event. The student turned on the lights in the room and announced that the party was ending due to the back door being opened. He and the DJ got in a verbal argument which resulted in the police at the party interrupting and bringing the student event manager to the foyer of the building. The student event manager continued to be disorderly and tried to re-confront the DJ. In the course of being in the foyer and while restrained by friends, the student struck two officers. Anthony Billups, a 21-year-old male student, was arrested for disorderly conduct and for assaulting an officer. As the group of 80 to 90 people were leaving the event in an orderly fashion, a student reported being struck in the back of the head as he and a group were walking down Forsyth Street. The assailant was not identified.

2:30 a.m. The Northeastern Police were called to Stetson West and told that an 18-year-old male student had been punched on the sidewalk outside of the building. The student had consumed approximately six alcoholic shots as well as some beer all night at an off-campus gathering. He was hit on the sidewalk outside of the residence hall, knocked down and kicked. He was taken to the hospital after saying that he had been unconscious for 30 seconds.

3 a.m. An officer patrolling the Columbus Parking Lot discovered three students smoking marijuana in a car owned by one of the students’ mothers. A small bag of marijuana was confiscated and all three of the students, all 18-year-old males, will be referred to OSCCR.

4 a.m. An officer was flagged down at an incident where a 19-year-old male student had been punched on Hemenway Street, near Smith Hall. The student was said to have been hit by one person, but the assailant was with another male. After hitting the student, it was said that the two fled the scene. Another person with the victim recognized the assailant as someone from their hometown. The student was taken to the hospital and the investigation continues as to who struck the student.

4:30 a.m. An 18-year-old female student came into her room to find a 22-year-old male, who was visiting her roommate, urinating in her closet. The male visitor was escorted off campus and banned from returning.

Sunday, September 21 3 a.m. An officer saw a man confront another man on the corner of Hemenway Street and Gainsborough Street about an assault to one of the men’s girlfriends. The original dispute was an hour earlier and restarted when the boyfriend of the woman hit thought he recognized the man who had punched his girlfriend. The girlfriend is a student while her boyfriend is not. The man accused of hitting the woman is also a student. The man denied hitting the female student and she could not positively identify him as the assailant but believed that he was there when the incident occurred. No one in the group would cooperate when asked to explain why the original fight had taken place.

Monday, September 22 11 a.m. An RA in West Campus C discovered a bag of marijuana outside of the elevator on the third floor.

4:30 p.m. A 21-year-old female student reported that she had left her wallet at the InfoCommons earlier that day for about 20 minutes unattended. She was contacted around 1 p.m. that day by her credit card company that was calling her about several purchases made on Newbury Street, spending a total of $700. The purchases were made in three different stores. Each store gave the same description of the customer and one store had the customer on video surveillance. An investigation will continue in identifying the customer.

Crime log entry of the week

Wednesday, September 17 3:30 p.m.- An 18-year-old female student from West Campus reported that on the evening of Sept. 6, she returned to her apartment to find $20 missing from her purse. The next morning, after leaving the apartment for a while, she discovered an additional $50 missing from her purse. She reported the theft over a week later due to suspicion surrounding her roommate’s boyfriend who had been living in the apartment for approximately two weeks. The boyfriend is not a Northeastern student and was previously banned from the campus, but believed that the ban had expired. He claimed to have no knowledge of the missing money and was escorted off campus by an officer. He is further banned from campus.