Northeastern Crime Log

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, November 4 8 a.m. A building services staff member in West Campus E reported that a vacuum cleaner had been missing for the past two weeks.

10:30 a.m. A manager in the Wollaston’s in the Marino Center reported a shoplifter who had been hiding health and beauty products in her jacket. The 55-year-old woman, who has no affiliation with NU, purchased other items, but attempted to leave the store without paying for the items in her jacket. The manager detained the shoplifter until officers arrived. The woman was escorted from Wollaston’s and has been banned from both Wollaston’s locations.

10:30 a.m. A female staff member in Ell Hall reported that on Oct. 29 she had left her office unlocked and unattended for 10 minutes and found her wallet missing upon her return. The wallet contained $50.

Noon A female staff member in the John D. O’Bryant African American Institute reported a TV and VCR stolen the night before. The staff member also reported a vending machine vandalized from the previous Thursday.

Wednesday, November 5 7:30 a.m. A vacuum cleaner was reported stolen from West Campus A. The vacuum had been left out in a corridor overnight.

10:30 a.m. A manager in the Wollaston’s in the Marino Center reported a shoplifter who had been hiding health and beauty products up her sleeve and attempted to steal them. The 21-year-old female student has been banned from both Wollaston’s on campus and will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

12:30 p.m. An NU employee found a wallet on the ground on campus and, after opening it to look for identification, found an ID with the picture of a student he recognized, but the address of one of his colleagues. The employee went to his colleague with the ID to ask him about it and the colleague told him that the said student did not reside at his home. The employee then turned the wallet in to NUPD who contacted the owner of the wallet. The 19-year-old male student admitted to purchasing the fake ID on the Internet, with a middleman from the University of Michigan who delivered the fake ID to him. The student also gave the names of two other students, a 19-year-old and a 20-year-old, who had purchased fake IDs the same way. All three students will be referred to OSCCR and criminal charges may be filed.

1 p.m. A 22-year-old male student reported his wallet missing from InfoCommons in Snell Library. He said the wallet may have fallen out of his pocket when he got up to leave. The wallet was turned in later that afternoonn Nothing was missing.

1:30 p.m. A female staff member in Dodge Hall reported a middle-aged man in the ladies’ room on the second floor. She was able to describe the man to officers, but he could not be found in the building.

3 p.m. An 18-year-old female resident of Stetson East reported that some time between Monday and Wednesday, someone had stolen $400 from her dresser. The student and her roommate had been having problems, and her roommate had moved out in that span of time. The student believes that her former roommate may have been the one to steal the money. NUPD questioned the former roommate, who denied taking the money.

11:45 p.m. A student reported that three to four males had been standing outside Speare Hall harassing female students as they entered the building. NUPD responded and found a group of males that fit the description, but only one in the group was positively identified by the females. The 19-year-old student who was identified will be referred to OSCCR.

Thursday, November 6 12:15 a.m. A security officer patrol- ling the footbridge between Camden Street and Gains- borough Street reported a middle-aged man running towards Matthews Arena. Shortly after the man ran by, two male students ran after the middle-aged man, telling the security officer that the man had stolen a purse from a 20-year-old female student. Officers searched the area and found the man hiding in the bushes behind the Gainsborough Parking Garage. The purse was located in the bushes nearby. Israel Cruz, a 43-year-old resident of the area, was arrested for the crime.

Friday, November 6 2 p.m. A 21-year-old female student reported her purse stolen after leaving it on a chair in The Wrap in the Marino Center while she ordered her food. The purse held a small amount of cash, several credit cards and a cell phone.

5 p.m. A staff member reported her backpack missing from the front seat of her truck after leaving it unlocked while making a delivery to Churchill Hall. The backpack contained two cell phones, $30 and several credit cards.

Saturday, November 7 1 a.m. An RA in Kerr Hall reported a noisy room with residents who refused to open the door. Officers found two 18-year-old roommates in the room along with a dozen beer cans. The students will be referred to OSCCR.

10 p.m. Officers noticed two 22-year-old students drinking beers while walking down Columbus Avenue. The students were cooperative, dumped out the beers and will be referred to OSCCR.

11:30 p.m. The residential staff in Speare Hall reported an intoxicated student in one of the bathrooms. Officers found the 18-year-old male and he was taken to the hospital. He will be referred to OSCCR.

11:45 p.m. The RA staff in Willis Hall reported loud noise coming from one of the apartments. Upon entering, officers found several guests in the apartment along with empty beer cans. One of the guests, a 20-year-old female who appeared to be intoxicated, was taken to the hospital. The guests provided proper IDs, but the resident of the room was not present. The resident, an 18-year-old male, returned shortly. The guests were allowed to stay since there was no remaining alcohol in the room. The resident will be referred to OSCCR.

Sunday, November 8 1:30 a.m. The community receptionist in White Hall reported a student trying to use his roommate’s ID to sign in a guest. The 18-year-old student had been drinking and was uncooperative when officers arrived. The guest was escorted from campus, and both the student and his roommate will be referred to OSCCR.

2 a.m. The community receptionist in Kerr Hall reported that the plastic on the control panel of the elevator was on fire. The receptionist extinguished the fire, and reported to officers that this is not the first time this semester that an event like this has occurred. NUPD is currently pursuing an arson investigation in the building.

Noon Officers responded to an alarm in a classroom in Dodge Hall. Upon arrival, officers found a man in the classroom who admitted to entering the room to shoot up heroin. Drug paraphernalia was found on him, but the computer and projector which had set off the alarm were untouched. Shaun Casey, a 22-year-old man unaffiliated with NU, was arrested for trespassing.

11:30 p.m. Officers found a man sleeping on the side steps of Blackman Auditorium. Officers awoke the man and found that he was wanted in Wareham, Mass. for failing to appear in court for the charge of vandalism. Richard Thomas, a 52-year-old resident of Wareham, was arrested.

Crime Log Entry of the Week Saturday, November 7

1:30 a.m. Security officers at the Museum of Fine Arts reported a person writing graffiti on a statue in front of the museum. The suspect fled towards NU and was apprehended on Huntington Avenue near Forsyth Street. The suspect, a 19-year-old male student, admitted to drinking and said he had accepted a dare to vandalize the statue. The student will be referred to OSCCR and criminal charges may be filed by the MFA.