Northeastern Crime Log

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, November 18

11:30 p.m. A Resident Assistant from Willis Hall reported an odor of marijuana on the sixth floor. NUPD responded and found a 19-year-old male student and his 19-year-old guest, who both admitted to smoking marijuana in the room. Two other 19-year-old males, one a resident and the other his non-student guest, denied being involved in the smoking. NUPD confiscated a few ounces of marijuana from the room along with $1,000 in cash. The investigation is ongoing, and criminal charges may be filed. The non-student guest was escorted off campus. The three students will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Wednesday, November 19

2 a.m. An RA from West Campus reported a 21-year-old female student intoxicated and vomiting in the hallway. The student was taken to the hospital and will be referred to OSCCR.

Noon An officer patrolling Dodge Hall found a man exiting the ladies’ room on the third floor. The officer recognized the man as one who had been arrested several years earlier for loitering in ladies’ rooms on campus. The officer pursued the man, but he escaped onto Huntington Avenue. A complaint has been filed against the man, who has no connection with Northeastern. He is due in court sometime in early December.

2 p.m. A 25-year-old male student reported that he had been approached by a 50-year-old man on Columbus Avenue who appeared to be mentally challenged. The man spoke incoherently to the student while they walked up the street before eventually leaving. The man was not found.

Thursday, November 20

Noon A fire alarm in West Campus A was set off causing most of the building to be evacuated. After the building was cleared, a smoke detector was found vandalized on the fifth floor.

A 19-year-old female student reported that both side mirrors had been knocked off her car while it was parked in Columbus Parking Garage. The student believes the damage was done sometime between Nov. 16 and 20.

6 p.m. An 18-year-old male student reported that a few days earlier, while alone on a walk in The Fens around 10:30 p.m., he was approached by several men and robbed of $160. The student did not get a good look at the suspects and had no description to report.

Friday, November 21

12:30 a.m. An RA in White Hall found an 18-year-old male student intoxicated and passed out on the fifth floor laying in his own vomit. The student was revived and taken to the hospital. He will be referred to OSCCR.

9:30 p.m. A 21-year-old male student approached an officer patrol- ling West Campus and reported that he had been punched in the face five minutes earlier. The student reported that he had been walking home carrying groceries when he encountered a female student and her brother, who is not a student. The male student and the female student’s brother began a heated conversation over the relationship between the male student and the female student, which had at one time been in a romantic relationship. The female’s brother then threw a punch. The male student reported that he retaliated in self defense, and that the fight eventually broke up on its own. Officers interviewed the female student, who agreed with the story the male student told. The investigation is ongoing.

Saturday, November 22

2:30 a.m. An 18-year-old male student was found lying in his own vomit on the second floor of Speare Hall. He was taken to the hospital and will be referred to OSCCR.

8:30 p.m. A researcher in the Egan Science/Engineering Research Center reported his laptop missing from a lab. He had left the lab locked on Friday night, and when he returned Saturday night, his laptop was gone. There was no sign of forced entry. A colleague later reported seeing two men in the lab around 8 p.m. Saturday night.

11 p.m. An RA in Kerr Hall reported large holes in the wall in the sixth floor men’s room.

An officer in Columbus Parking Garage noticed seven men standing outside a car with the trunk open. The trunk contained a beer ball. The men were all underage. The men reported they had driven down from Mt. Ida College to go to a party. The beer ball was confiscated, and the men were sent away from the lot.

An officer on Huntington Avenue observed a young man carrying a 12-pack of beer. The 19-year-old is not a student at Northeastern, and admitted to looking for a party. The beer was taken from the man, who was then sent on his way.

11:30 p.m. A 24-year-old female student reported that the rear window of her car had been broken while it was parked in Columbus Parking Garage.

Sunday, November 23

4 a.m. A 21-year-old female student reported receiving harassing cell phone calls throughout the night. The calls were brief and consisted of a female voice making challenging and insulting remarks. The student suspects the calls may have been made from someone connected to her ex-boyfriend.

Monday, November 24

Noon A 19-year-old male guest reported that while visiting students in Smith Hall on Oct. 12, he had left his wallet unattended in a third floor room while he showered. He found it missing upon his return. A small amount of cash and several credit cards were in the wallet. The student chose not to report the incident until he was back at Smith Hall visiting friends again.

Tuesday, November 25

1 p.m. A 19-year-old female reported losing her Husky Card sometime on the previous Friday. She believes she may have dropped it sometime after swiping into her residence hall. The card was later found to have been used at several vending machines throughout campus to purchase $150 worth of food.

7 p.m. A 27-year-old student reported his paycheck missing after leaving it on a photocopy machine on the first floor of Snell Library. When he returned to retrieve the paycheck five minutes later, he found it missing.

Wednesday, November 26

11 a.m. A 19-year-old female student reported that her ex-boyfriend had threatened to kill her. The student reported that her ex-boyfriend, who is also a student, had been harassing her since they broke up a month earlier. The female student applied for a restraining order, which was served to the male student after he returned to campus. The female student is still considering pressing criminal charges. The male student will be referred to OSCCR.

1:30 p.m. A female teaching assistant from Nightingale Hall reported she had left the TA’s office unlocked and unattended on the previous Monday, and found two unfamiliar men in the office upon her return. The men asked about someone who does not work there before leaving. The TA later found several credit cards missing from her wallet.

Friday, November 28

8:30 a.m. A contractor in West Campus reported that tools worth approximately $1,000 had been stolen from a work site sometime in the past week.

Monday, December 1

Noon An 18-year-old male student reported receiving harassing e-mails. The student suspects the e-mails may be coming from another 18-year-old male student, and does not plan on filing an official complaint unless the harassment continues.

Tuesday, December 2

12:30 a.m. A female graduate student reported her wallet and cell phone had been stolen from her backpack while she was eating in the Curry Student Center between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. The wallet contained $40 and several credit cards.

Crime Log Entry of the Week Sunday, November 30

2 a.m. An RA in Smith Hall reported someone firing paint balls at the rear of the building. Officers saw people on the roof of the private apartment building directly across from Smith Hall, but only found a paintball gun and ammunition on the roof of the building when they arrived. Approximately 10 minutes later, a student who resides in the private apartment building where the paintball gun was found called to report his paintball gun missing. The case is still being investigated.