Huskies suffer their first series loss at Friedman Diamond since 2022

Molly McAlevey
Senior Jake Gigliotti prepares to make a pass to graduate student Tyler MacGregor. MacGregor secured both a run and an RBI single in the Saturday afternoon matchup against UNCW.

The Northeastern baseball team (27-10, 11-2 CAA) suffered a rough defeat in a CAA matchup Friday, April 19 against University of North Carolina Wilmington (25-13, 9-4 CAA), or UNCW, in the first game of an anticipated weekend series. 

The No. 3 Huskies knew they had their work cut out for them against the Seahawks, who maintained the top position in the CAA with only two conference defeats on the season.   

UNCW took control early in the top of the first inning, tallying four runs to home as senior pitcher Jake Gigliotti suffered two errors and a clock violation.

The bottom of the first inning was short — but not so sweet — for the Huskies with senior Luke Beckstein striking out and graduate student Tyler MacGregor’s hit sending both him and junior Mike Sirota out. 

Junior Brett Dunham found success pitching in the second inning, striking out the Seahawks first and second players, with their third and final hitter of the inning’s ball caught in the outfield. But Northeastern wasn’t able to flip the script and get a Husky on base, with graduate student Alex Lane and sophomore Matt Brinker out, along with sophomore Jack Goodman striking out.

Dunham didn’t build on his momentum into the third inning, as he let up a homerun for Seahawk senior Trevor Marsh. UNCW continued this energy, causing Northeastern to change pitchers from Dunham to sophomore Joseph Hauser. UNCW ran away with the inning, notching five runs and furthering the gap to 9-0.

The fourth inning began with another homer from UNCW’s Marsh, but the Huskies were able to respond, not allowing another run from the Seahawks.

Northeastern continued on their new pitcher momentum in the fifth inning with sophomore Ryan Griffin, where he allowed three walks and one home run by sophomore Tanner Thach, extending UNCW’s lead to 11-0.

Northeastern’s fifth pitcher was freshman Nick Coniglio, who allowed no one on base. 

The Huskies were able to gain some success in two walks, one by Beckstein and Sirota, along with Brinker, who made it to first, but found no luck in returning to home.  

The seventh and eighth innings brought new pitchers for both teams, but still ended in the 11-0 in favor of the Seahawks.

Then finally, Northeastern got on the board.

The Huskies came out hungry in the ninth inning, shutting out UNCW once again, and then hurrying to secure a run of their own. 

UNCW’s freshman pitcher, Bromley Thorton let freshman Chris Walsh walk, who was then able to steal second. After junior Jack Bowery’s hit was caught by Seahawk’s center fielder, Thornton walked sophomore Charlie Walker. Walsh was able to make it home, the first run of the game for the Huskies. 

UNCW then let sophomore Cam Maldonado walk as Walker stole second, which caused them to change pitchers, but Northeastern kept rolling with a walk from Beckstein.

Sirota ran to first, Beckstein to second, Maldonadoto third, and Walker brought it home. 

In the wake of MacGregor’s hit, Sirota ran home, securing the Huskies their third run. 

Then, Lane’s hit and run to first base caused Beckstein and Sirota to run home, slightly narrowing the Seahawks’ lead to 11-5 — but it wasn’t enough as UNCW shut down the Huskies’ hot streak.

In the second game of the series, Northeastern was able to redeem themselves. Lane’s three home runs catapulted the 10-7 win. 

The final game of the weekend, and for the winner of the series, the Seahawks took the early lead in the second inning. Although the Huskies were able to gain a run, the score remained 2-1 UNCW until the seventh inning. 

Northeastern managed to earn one run in both the eighth and ninth inning, but UNCW notched two more runs and another in the ninth, securing its 5-3 victory over the Huskies.

This was the second series loss for Northeastern this season, and the first series loss at Friedman Diamond since 2022. 

The Huskies, now 29-11,10-5 CAA, prepare to face Elon University in the next series at home, starting Friday, April 26.