Women’s Hockey: No offense for Huskies

News Staff File Photo/Laura Pond

By: Kathryn Uggerholt, News Correspondent

“It was probably the worst game we’ve ever played,” sophomore defenseman Casie Fields said after practice Tuesday.

The women’s hockey team dropped to 1-1-1 on the season after their 4-0 loss to the Quinnipiac University Bobcats Saturday afternoon in Connecticut.

Fields blamed the loss on the little things the team struggled with, like winning races to the puck and taking easy passes.

The Bobcats struck 3:56 into the game when forward Kelly Babstock got her fourth goal of the season. They scored again at 18:06 when forward Erica Uden Johansson beat Northeastern junior goaltender Florence Schelling, who made seven saves in the contest.

Defenseman Jordan Elkins took advantage of Quinnipiac’s first power play of the second period and lit the lamp and gave the Bobcats a 3-0 lead.

The Huskies then put in senior goaltender Leah Sulyma who played the rest of the game. On another power play at the end of the period, the Bobcats scored one last time with a goal from forward Kate Wheeler at 18:45.

Despite facing seven shots in the third period, sophomore goaltender Victoria Vigilanti of Quinnipiac earned her ninth career shutout and second of the season.

Schelling said she was not satisfied with the outcome of the games, and described her play over the weekend as “not too good.”

“It’s still early in the season and we will improve,” she said.

Schelling said the team is using a new system of three defensemen and two forwards instead of the usual three forwards and two defensemen. She and Fields agreed it is something the team is getting used to and will get better with.

The Huskies, three games into a five-match road series, have yet to play a regular season game at home this year.

Being on the road has negative aspects as well as advantages for the team, Schelling said.

“There is a lot of stuff we usually wouldn’t do unless we were all on the bus,” Schelling said. “It’s obviously very good for team bonding, but it is a lot of traveling. We get tired.”

The Huskies are back in action this weekend playing two games against Robert Morris. The game Sunday afternoon will take place at the new home of the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Consol Energy Center.

Both Schelling and Fields had the opportunity to play in the outdoor game against the University of New Hampshire at Fenway Park during Frozen Fenway last year.

“I don’t think anything can top that,” Fields said. “But it is always exciting to play in a new rink. We’re all really excited.”