Men’s Hockey: Woeful Huskies lose five straight

News Staff Photo/Dan McCarthy

By: Jason Mastrodonato, News Staff

With one-third of the season already complete and just one win in the books, the men’s hockey team is struggling to find momentum.

Northeastern (1-7-2, 1-4-1 Hockey East) dropped a pair of games on the road at No. 5 Maine over the weekend, losing 4-2 in each game, and has now lost five in a row.

“Obviously, it’s been a disappointment,” head coach Greg Cronin told the media during a Hockey East conference call on Tuesday.

The Huskies have yet to pick up a win at home and have seen a drop in attendance the last three consecutive contests at Matthews Arena. Friday, Oct. 29, 1,874 fans were in attendance against Holy Cross, where the Huskies lost 4-3 in overtime. The following Friday, Nov. 5, only 1,235 fans witnessed the Huskies 4-1 loss to Niagara.

The team carries the same record through the first 10 games (1-7-2) as the 2005-06 squad, which won just three times all season on its way to a 3-24-7 finish.

But this isn’t the same team from the disappointing season of five years ago, Cronin’s first year at NU, Cronin said. This year’s roster is filled with talent, he said. Now it’s just a matter of putting all the pieces together.
“Not to minimize those players [from the 2005-2006 team], but we weren’t going to win games,” Cronin said. “We weren’t talented enough. This group has talent and they’ve got abilities. It’s on the coaches. We’ve got to get them to play with an identity and play as a group.”
Senior captain and forward Tyler McNeely said talent can only take a team so far. It’s time to start executing.
“I don’t think this team is anything like that team a few years back,” McNeely said. “But it’s not about talent. It’s about buying into the system and playing as a team. Even though we have more talent, we have to play a full 60 minutes of hard work. That’s the key.”
A full 60 minutes is exactly what Northeastern was lacking in the two-game series over the weekend.
Opening the first road trip of the season, the Huskies jumped ahead late in the first period on Friday, when freshman forward Rob Dongara deflected a shot from senior forward Wade MacLeod into the net during the 18th minute for a power play goal.
Junior forward Mike McLaughlin notched another power play tally for the Huskies in the second period. McLaughlin buried a rebound to mark the first time this year the Huskies have scored twice in a game on power play.
They entered the third period in a tie for yet another time this season, but couldn’t contain the high-powered Maine offense, which scored the game-winner on the power play and added an empty netter to seal the deal.
Sophomore goaltender Chris Rawlings made 30 saves, but NU had just 19 shots on net in the loss, compared to Maine’s 34.
“Obviously Maine is very good,” Cronin told WRBB Sports radio. “We got the goal and that settled us down, and then I thought it was a pretty good game. I think they carried the play for most of the game, but I thought it was a good game.”
The following night, the Huskies jumped ahead again in the first period, as McNeely scored his third goal of the season. MacLeod notched his fourth in the second period to give the Huskies a rare lead entering the final frame.
But the Black Bears dominated in the third, out-shooting NU 15-4 and scoring three goals to pick up the 4-2 victory.
“They came hard in the third period,” McNeely said. “There are no excuses. We made some mistakes and had some breakdowns that just cost us. It’s been a couple of break downs here and there that are costing us, and we have to figure that out.”
Despite dropping their fifth straight match, McNeely said the Huskies have been doing their best to stay positive in the locker room.
“It’s frustrating,” he said. “None of the guys on the team want to lose. Everyone hates losing. But we also know there’s a lot of season left. We’re making strides every game and it’s a good thing to see that.”
The Huskies head to Providence Friday for another Hockey East-filled weekend, and will host a rematch at Matthews on Saturday at 7 p.m.
“I think we’re just going to have to match their intensity,” McNeely said. “We’re feeling pretty good. Every team goes through rough patches; this is just another one of those times. It’s building character. We know we can win. We just have to iron those details out.”