Player of the Week: Christine Huber

By: Katie Zigelman, News Staff

Sophomore Christine Huber registered her second double-double of the season against UNC Wilmington for the women’s basketball team. She had the high score for the team with 10 points, 13 rebounds and four blocks. In the past four games, she has scored a total of 34 points and 25 rebounds. Her performance has earned her Huntington News Player of the Week honors.

Huber transferred from Rutgers University in New Jersey in December of 2009 and became eligible to play basketball halfway through this season. In her debut game against Miami University in Ohio Dec. 19, Huber got her first double-double of the season with 12 points and 11 rebounds in just 19 minutes of play.

Huber said she chose to transfer to Northeastern because of the basketball program and the chance to live in the city.

“I can relate to the coaching staff [at Northeastern] better and the team,”  Huber said.

Since beginning play with the Huskies, Huber has played an average of 19.8 minutes per game, and scored an average of 7.7 points per game. She said she has been focusing on developing a jump shot this season.

Despite the Huskies’ losing streak, the human services major said she is proud of her team’s persistence.

“We just played really well against UNCW,” Huber said. “We are working to come together with all we have learned this year so that we can end on a good note.”

The North Babylon, N.Y. native has been playing basketball since she was five years old, when she first got introduced to the sport by playing at home with her brother and father. But basketball wasn’t her only focus growing up, and Huber participated in a number of different sports.

“I did soccer, volleyball, softball, lacrosse, dance and gymnastics,” she said.

At 6 feet, 4 inches tall, Huber used to be bothered by people commenting on her height.

“It used to bug me but I’ve grown into it and accepted it. I think of it now as an asset. It definitely gives me an advantage in my game,” Huber said.

Huber said she is very interested in sign language and hopes to become an interpreter. In her spare time, she said she loves watching movies.