Womens Basketball: Losing streak reaches ten

By: Justin Clear-Vekinis, News Correspondent

Sophomore guard Deanna Kerkhof led the Huskies in scoring against Georgia State Sunday with 15 points, shooting 5-9 from behind the 3-point line. But her efforts we not enough as the women’s basketball team fell to the Panthers 57-44.

Junior guard Jamie Conroy notched 14 points and four rebounds, and sophomore Christine Huber added 10 points.

“The second half of the season has been difficult for us due to the fact that we have only had a month to gel as a new team,” head coach Daynia La-Force Mann said. “Since losing two key players in January, the team hasn’t had enough time to trust each other in the new roles. Simply, we have had to revamp our style of play while trying to remain competitive within our conference.”

Sophomores Rachael Pecota and Afreyea Tolbert were dismissed from the team earlier this season.

“Unfortunately, Rachael and Afreyea did not live up to team and department expectations,” La-Force Mann said in a statement Jan. 26. “This decision is in the best interest of our team and of the long-term development of the individuals involved. My focus now is on our players, our basketball family and the remainder of the season.”

The Panthers were led by senior guard Traci Haltiwanger who notched 17 points against the Huskies on the day. This is the first win for the Panthers over the Huskies this season, as the Huskies beat Georgia during a Jan. 20 trip.

“I feel we’ve been doing well as a team,” Conroy said. “Everybody has been contributing. We don’t do all the little things all the time though. For instance rebounding, or boxing out, and the other teams take advantage of that.”

Northeastern was outrebounded by Georgia State 44-23 at Solomon Court, which included 17 offensive rebounds for the Panthers leading to 12 points against the Huskies.

The Huskies also fell previously over the week to the Drexel Dragons 61-53 on their home court.

Senior forward Mia Mayberry scored her career high of 16 points on the night, but it wasn’t enough to fend off the Dragons who had three players in double-digit scoring.

Mayberry was the only Husky in double-digit scoring, with the next best scorer, Junior guard Dani Iervolino, tallying nine points for the Huskies.

Sophomore forward and junior forward Christine Huber and Jamie Conroy each hit eight points while Huber grabbed the team-best seven rebounds.

“At this point in the season you want your team to be playing their best basketball,” La-Force Mann said. “Unfortunately, we have been only learning through competition and limited practice opportunities. When competing, there is no room for error and our opponents have capitalized on our every mistake whether it be turnovers from learning a new offense or missing shots because players haven’t gotten used to their new roles.”

Northeastern shot for 40.6 percent from the field in comparison to the Dragons’ 52.4. However, the Huskies outrebounded the Dragons 29-28.

“It’s been a long, tough season.” Conroy said. “We’ve stuck together and we’re still fighting so hopefully we can make a good run in the tournament.”

The Huskies travel to Upper Marlboro, Md. to face off in the Colonial Athletic Association tournament, which begins March 10.