Player of the week: Miller has an eye for details

By Anthony Gulizia, News Staff

In the last month of the ill-fated 2010 baseball season, sophomore first baseman Matt Miller consistently produced for the baseball team, going 17-55 (.309), scoring 13 runs and driving in six runs. Miller led the team with a .320 batting average this season, and scored 36 runs while driving in 18. His efforts have earned him Huntington News Player of the Week honors.

Throughout the season, Miller’s production in the lead-off spot was prolific. The first baseman constantly crossed the plate and led the team in runs scored.

“Leadoff is a comfortable spot for me,” Miller said. “I’ve been there my whole career and I’m pretty comfortable in that role.”
Miller said he also feels at ease in tense situations.

“He’s just there, knows exactly what to do, and is quietly one of the best clutch players in the history of the program,” head coach Neil McPhee said.

Miller’s key to succeeding in pressured situations is staying relaxed, and playing with the mentality that the situation is no different from any other, he said.

“I control my mentality, I stay relaxed, and that’s a big factor in these situations,” Miller said. “Performing well under pressure is making sure you keep your head and do what you know how to do, whether its 11-0 or tied in the bottom of the ninth inning. You can never give away an at-bat and you keep that same mentality.”

In addition to offensive production, Miller brings solid defense to the infield. The first baseman finished the season with a .989 fielding percentage and committed just four errors.

Earlier this month, Miller single-handedly preserved a 4-1 victory over conference foe Old Dominion University (ODU). After ODU appeared to tie the game with a base clearing double in the top of the eight, Miller noticed batter Josh Wright never touched first. Miller tagged first, ended the inning, and the Huskies escaped the inning unscathed.

“Every single play, my coaches tell me to make sure the runners touch the base every time,” Miller said. “When the ball got back into the infield I tagged the bag and luckily the umpire saw it, too.”

Off the field, the Sudbury native said he enjoys playing golf, but most of his time is consumed by baseball. After finishing the season, Miller will have just 10 days off before he begins to play for the Lowell All-Americans in the New England Collegiate Baseball league.

“What’s spare time?” he said, jokingly.

Miller is majoring in finance, and said he looks to pursue a career in real estate or financial management. As far as his baseball career goes, Miller said he would like to take it as far as he can, but is not relying on it.

“If the opportunity to play professional baseball ever presented itself I would take it, but I’m not banking on it,” Miller said. “I’m also focusing on school and finance, and I’m not taking my education for granted.”

Throughout high school, Miller played baseball and basketball, but always knew which sport he preferred.

“Baseball was always my first passion,” Miller said. “I miss basketball sometimes, but in order to play baseball, you need to realize the sacrifices you have to make and I wouldn’t trade any of it for the situation I’m in now.”