Baseball brings on nine freshman

By Zolan Kanno-Youngs, News Correspondent

Tournament season is approaching for Northeastern’s winter sports teams, which means America’s pastime is just around the corner. The Huskies and optimistic head coach Niel McPhee,  his 27th season at Northeastern,  will kick off the baseball season against the Jacksonville University Dolphins Feb. 24.

The Huskies are coming off a season during which they placed ninth of 11 in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA), 12-18, (18-33 overall).

It was a season where conference foe James Madison University dominated almost every statistic, but the Huskies showed their pitching could in the division. The Huskies lead the CAA with an ERA of 4.26 and only allowed 148 walks.

One player who propelled the pitching staff was now-graduated Les Williams, who last season struck out 77 players with a 3.98 ERA – ranking seventh and 14th in the CAA respectively – last season.

The Huskies also lost graduated pitchers Brandon McNelis and JT Ross, as well at outfielder Jeff Dunlap.

However, Northeastern has cause for optimism as this is the first season that the program will be fully funded through scholarships, giving NU an edge in the recruitment process.
“From a college athlete standpoint, it’s a life-blood program,” McPhee said. “As far as scouting, evaluating and recruitment, we have a better opportunity now with scholarship resources. It’s also a great opportunity for players to get noticed on the national level.”

The Huskies have added nine freshmen to their roster: Two Massachusetts natives – in pitcher Matthew Goreham, and infielder Keith Kelly – pitchers Keegan Taylor and Nick Berger, and Canadian infielder and pitcher Michael Foster.

Infielder Jason Vosler, first basemen Rob Fonseca, catchers Josh Treff and Alex McKeon complete the 2012 freshman class.

“I’ve honestly been impressed with all of the freshmen,” senior left-handed pitcher Andrew Leenhouts said. “They’ve come in and done really well and I definitely expect them all to contribute this season.”

A majority of these players have also impressed McPhee. He described Foster, Vosler, Fonseca, McKeon, Taylor and Goreham as being the “strongest to put pressure on returning players.”

Senior captains Leenhouts, Matt Miller and Tucker Roeder will take over as leaders of the team for the 2012 season.

Leenhouts, who the Florida Marlins drafted in the 2011 MLB entry draft, started 13 games in the 2011 season. He was recognized by the CAA as an honorable mention to the 2012 preseason All-CAA baseball team.

“Leenhouts is our number one guy right now,” McPhee said. “His opportunity to go beyond is hopefully assured. Couldn’t ask for a better student-athlete in the program.”

The CAA also selected sophomore second basemen Aaron Barbosa to the preseason All-CAA team.

“It’s a great honor being named to the team as a sophomore,” Barbosa said. “[But] I’m much more concerned about winning the conference. The immediate goal starts with improving from last year, which I definitely think we can do.”

Barbosa batted .335 last year and set the Northeastern single-season record with 29 stolen bases and finished sixth all-time with 70 hits on the season.

“In my career here, we’ve never had anything like [Barbosa],” McPhee said. “He’s the best drag bunter I’ve ever coached and seems to always be able to get a double. He does a great job of putting himself in scoring position.”

Last season the Huskies placed last in hits, batting average, runs scored, RBIs, doubles and homeruns in the CAA.

McPhee said the group is full of potential and his exceptions are high.

“Now that our program is fully funded there’s no reason we can’t compete with top teams in the CAA,” McPhee said. “If you look at our success over the years, we’ve been successful without ever being fully funded … We have one priority goal and that is to make the conference tournament.”