MBTA to construct new commuter rail platform at Ruggles to step up service

By Lauren Spinella, News Correspondent

A new commuter rail platform at Ruggles Station will open up service to another track, facilitating traffic flow.
News Staff Photo/Matt Greene

The MBTA is slated to begin work on an 18-month construction project to improve service and access to Ruggles Station and boost operational flexibility.

The MBTA is in the design phase on a new project at Ruggles Station that will build a new platform for trains to service Track 2, which is the only track not serviced by a platform. According to the MBTA website, more than 500 commuters ride the commuter rail train every day, and only 30 percent of those trains stop at Ruggles. The proposed platform will make traveling more convenient for commuters.

For hundreds of commuters on the commuter rail, most commuter rail trains bypass Ruggles station, forcing many passengers to get off at Back Bay and transfer to the Orange Line, only to backtrack to Ruggles.

“It’s a huge annoyance,” said Christopher Kishfy, a student at Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. “I take the commuter rail home almost every weekend. I have to plan my trip around what time train I have to take back that will stop at Ruggles.”

According to the MBTA website, Ruggles has 29 inbound and 49 outbound commuter rail trains coming into the station daily, and because of the high traffic it is necessary to have another platform for more trains to stop at this station.

As a legislative briefing on Sept. 20 mentioned, Ruggles is the 4th busiest station for commuter rails. The new platform will allow more trains to enter and stop there, and passengers will no longer have to take the train to Back Bay and then transfer.

With an estimated cost of $20 million, the new platform will include a pedestrian tunnel, ramp, canopies with benches and will be accessible to the existing station, according to the legislative briefing.

Joe Pesaturo, a spokesman for the MBTA, said in an email to The News that as of now there is no funding for the project, but that it is definitely happening.

“The MBTA is currently investigating potential funding options, including state and federal funding programs,” Pesaturo said.

While the project is underway, there will be major effects not only for the Northeastern community but for surrounding neighbors as well. Construction staging will take place in the Columbus Parking Lot, and there will be a coordination between the two projects.

Because of the proximity of the station and proposed platform, Northeastern will be greatly affected by this project, according to the MBTA, which lists Northeastern as a project stakeholder. Vice President of Community and City Affairs John Tobin said he has been in contact with the MBTA to discuss it.

He said that as part of the Institutional Master Plan, Northeastern has a desire to develop the surface lot on Columbus Avenue into a science and technology center. Simultaneously, the MBTA will begin working on the Ruggles project, so it is important that both the MBTA and Northeastern cooperate with each other.

“Both developments are very much in their infancy right now,” Tobin said. “But both engineering and design teams are talking to each other.”

Tobin also mentioned that Northeastern has allowed the MBTA to use campus for presentations and information about the project. On Oct. 18, the MBTA hosted an open house on campus for not only the Northeastern community but for the public as well. In addition, the MBTA has attended meetings about Northeastern’s plans for the surface lot.

“We thought it was a good idea to allow the MBTA to come into our meetings and talk about their plans,” Tobin said.

Construction is scheduled to begin in early 2014 and will last for approximately 18 months. During that time, there will be a temporary off-peak closure of Track 2. Construction will most likely not be an inconvenience to commuters.

“It’s hard to say, but I would guess with such a major line going there, they won’t stop service completely,” Tobin said.

Ray Iannuccillo, a fourth-year pharmacy major, said he’s glad the MBTA is showing this dedication.

“It’s nice that the MBTA is finally noticing what an inconvenience this is and actually doing something about it.”