Player of the Week: Brittany Moriarty

By Anthony Gulizia, News Correspondent

Tri-Captain Brittany Moriarty of the women’s track & field team shattered the school 5k record by more than 20 seconds at the ECAC Indoor Championship last Saturday. Running her last race as a Husky, she crossed the finish line with a time of 17:01.13. Her efforts this weekend earned her Huntington News Player of the Week honors.
For Moriarty, finishing her career with a record-breaking performance was a great experience.
“I felt good throughout the race and it felt great to break the record,” Moriarty said. “It was my last race of the season and my career and it was nice to have my family there watching and my teammates cheering me on.”
Moriarty usually runs in the outdoor season as well, although she does not have eligibility for the outdoor season this year.
In the week leading up to her last race, Moriarty said that the thought of this being her last race started to sink in, but it still doesn’t feel like it’s over.
“All week I felt kind of sad, and I started feeling a bit nostalgic,” Moriarty said. “But now that it’s finally over, it hasn’t really hit me that I won’t be running anymore.”
Reflecting on her time at Northeastern, Moriarty looks back on her transition from running outdoor track in high school, to running cross-country, indoor and outdoor at Northeastern. At Andover High School, Moriarty played soccer and basketball, so she only ran outdoor track. Running the 800 during outdoor, Moriarty said it was tough to adjust to the grueling running of cross-country at Northeastern.
“It took a while to warm up to cross-country, and it was tough adjusting to longer workouts and longer races,” Moriarty said. “It was much different training and I was always tired.”
However, Moriarty became one of Northeastern’s top runners, leading Northeastern in every race during the cross-country season. Moriarty also set two outdoor records last year in the 1,500 meter run and the 5,000 meter challenge. Moriarty also broke a 24- year old mile record last week. Her 5k record adds to her impressive collegiate career.
When she’s not running for the Huskies, Moriarty said she enjoys playing basketball, soccer and hanging out with friends. Moriarty said she misses the two sports she used to play in high school, and enjoys playing them when she can.
The Andover native said she plans to graduate in the spring, and will now pursue a job now that the track season has finished. Moriarty, a communications studies major, noted that she would like to find a job in the Boston area. She expressed interest in possibly working with the Dana-Farber Jimmy Fund Marathon and Running Programs Office, where she has completed her last two co-ops. Here, Moriarty organized volunteers to help the team of runners that participate in the Boston Marathon every April. Moriarty has thought about running the Boston Marathon sometime, but says it won’t be anytime soon.
“It definitely won’t be this April,” Moriarty said. “I’m going to take some time off and relax for a while.”