Huskies take CAA series from Hofstra Pride

By Elizabeth Thomas, News Staff

Brookline – Northeastern (18-13, 7-8 Colonial Athletic Association) won the weekend series against conference rivals Hofstra University (14-18, 4-8 CAA), taking the last two games of the weekend.

Senior left-handed pitcher Kevin Ferguson (5-2) threw 8.2 innings with a 1.86 earned run average, striking out six batters while giving up only five hits on the day.

“Our whole pitching staff has done really well so far this year, we just never have blow out games and try to keep down the runs so it gives our hitters a chance to win games for us,” sophomore starting pitcher Nick Berger said. “Even when they are struggling at times we try our best at pitching to keep us in it for the whole team.”

Sunday afternoon was a big offensive day for the Huskies with 10 hits to defeat the Pride 9-1. Junior right fielder Aaron Barbosa, junior center fielder Connor Lyons and sophomore first baseman Rob Fonseca, all recorded multiple hits in the game. Shortstop Jason Vosler also hit a solo home run in the third inning.

The second game in the weekend series was a much harder fought battle, with the Huskies just able to tack on two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to pull in front of the Pride, making the final score 4-1.

Stellar pitching was a key factor in the win for Northeastern.  Sophomore right-handed pitcher Nick Berger (4-4), threw seven innings with four strikeouts and just one unearned run on four hits.

“I struggled at times with my control but eventually settled in and just got guys out when I needed too in some big spots,” Berger said of his pitching performance. “Just limiting the damage when guys got on base and our hitting just came through big so it’s the reason we won the game.”

Senior infielder Pete Castoldi paved the way for the Huskies bats to come alive, hitting a single, advancing on a walk and scoring the first Northeastern run of the day, tying the game 1-1.

Senior co-captain pitcher Dylan Maki earned his fifth save of the year, closing out the game 4-1.

The first game of the series on Friday was the only victory for Hofstra of the weekend, beating Northeastern 9-2 by scoring four runs in the fourth inning to break open the game.

Freshman pitcher Nick Cubarney (3-2) got his fifth start on the season, throwing four complete innings, walking three, striking out three and giving up four runs, only two unearned.

The Huskies only power offense came from junior catcher Brad Burcroff who went 4-5 scoring a run and batting a run in.

Junior pitcher Matt Cook would relieve Cubarney in the fifth innings, drawing two strikeouts of his own but letting Hofstra score another run making the game 5-2. The Pride was also able to tack on three more runs in the top of the ninth innings, with two hit batters and walk, making the final score of the game 9-2 for a Pride victory.

The Huskies are setting their sights past this weekend looking forward to the CAA tournament.  “I think as long as we keep playing our best we will win enough games to get into the tournament,” Berger said. “We are definitely going to give any team a run for their money, because we are just as good as any of them.”

Northeastern will play its next series away against the University of Richmond this Friday, April 12 at 3 p.m.