Personal bests for track

By Emily McCarthy, News Correspondent

The Northeastern track teams split up last weekend and competed in two different meets, the Colonial Relays hosted by the College of William and Mary and the George Davis Invitational hosted by University of Massachusetts – Lowell.

The men’s side tied for eighth place out of the field of 28 teams at the Colonial Relays.

Junior Eric Jenkins led the scoring for Northeastern with a victory in the 1,500-meter run. He set a new personal best and qualified for the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America (IC4A) and New England championships with a time of 3:45.44.

Sophomore Jared Lane finished third in the 200-meter dash with a time of 21.76 seconds, qualifying him for the IC4A and New England meets. Lane also ran a New England qualifying time of 15.14 seconds in the preliminaries for the 110-meter hurdles.

In the 5,000-meter run, junior Brian Doyle ran a personal best time of 14:05.55, finishing sixth and qualifying for the IC4A and New England championships. Sophomore Stephen Sollowin finished 21st with a personal best and New England qualifying time of 14:41.53.

The 4×100-meter relay team of Lane, freshman Donovan Henry, senior Tejorn Davis and junior Kaylin Miranda rounded out the scoring for the Huskies with an eighth-place finish.

The women’s side finished 18th out of 24 teams at the Colonial Relays.

Junior Chelsea Hudson finished seventh in the 400-meter hurdles with a New England qualifying time of 1:02.51. Junior Danielle Klein finished eighth in the 3,000-meter run with a time of 10:19.80.

Graduate student Nia Howard finished 10th in the long jump with a New England qualifying mark of 5.39 meters. Freshman Jocelyn Hubbard also qualified for the New England championships in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:12.89, finishing 16th.

At the George Davis Invitational, the men’s squad dominated the field events as juniors Max Milder and James Hall took the top two spots in the hammer throw and junior Conor Ebbs won the discus.

Ebbs said that he felt the whole team had a great week at practice.

“The throwers did very well overall,” he said. “There was a great throw from Max Milder in the hammer.”

Milder finished first in the hammer throw with an IC4A and New England qualifying mark of 59.77 meters. Hall took second and also qualified for the IC4A and New England meets with a throw of 55.12 meters.

Ebbs captured the top spot in the discus with a throw of 44.59 meters. Junior Kevin Rosenberg finished fifth and recorded a new personal best throw of 41.11 meters. Senior Mark Mastone finished seventh. Rosenberg and Mastone also finished second and third, respectively, in the shot put.

Ebbs said he felt good about his performance in the discus despite the “always hard conditions” at UMass Lowell.

“It’s always very windy there,” he said. “And discus goes straight into the wind.”

Freshman Nicholas Tyler came in second in the pole vault with a personal best mark of 4.40 meters. Junior Darwin Gibbons took the third spot and junior Dylan Lucas finished fourth in the same event.

Rounding out the scoring for Northeastern was freshman Kevin Hunter who finished second in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:56.10.

“Kevin’s brought in a whole lot of energy for the sprints and mid-distance races,” Ebbs said. “As a team we did very well all together.”

The women’s side also succeeded in the field at the invitational, as Huskies captured the first through fifth places in the pole vault and freshman Nicole Genard won the javelin.

Senior Jillena DeCarteret took the top spot in the pole vault with a New England qualifying mark of 3.65 meters. Senior Lauren Bennet, freshman Jacilyn Briggs, junior Kelly Benfey and somphomore Dana Schweiger finished in the second through fifth spots, respectively.

Genard secured the victory in the javelin with a New England qualifying throw of 39.80 meters.

Junior Georgia Pingue finished second in the long jump and sophomore Jessica Dunnigan finished third. Both athletes qualified for the New England championships.

Adding to the Huskies’ team score were freshmen Jenna Serunian, who finished fourth in the discus, and Alexandra Rose who finished eighth in the hammer throw. Serunian and Genard also took sixth and seventh, respectively, in the shot put.

Senior Laura Coyne rounded out Northeastern’s scoring with a fourth-place finish in the 1,500 meter run with a time of 4:53.67.

The Huskies will be back on the track April 13 when they travel to University of Massachusetts – Amherst for the Minuteman Invitational.