Men’s rowing continues to dominate on the Charles

By Chris Judd, News Correspondent

The Northeastern University men’s rowing team beat Boston University on Saturday to win the Arlett Cup on the Charles River. The Huskies have won 11 of their last 13 meets and are undefeated in 2013 (4-0).

“We do not feel pressured by our current winning record,” coach John Pojednic said. “The consistency of our preparation over the past three years has put the team in a position where they respond well to challenge and adversity, and are accustomed to working purposefully each day in a manner which is consistent with a clearly stated set of core values. The athletes respect the challenge which lies ahead and regular season wins or losses will not affect our long range goals.”

The Huskies swept BU; the closest race was the second varsity eight where the Huskies won by half a second at 6:08.9. They led by three quarters of a boat length with 500 meters to go, but a strong push by BU nearly caught up with them at the end.

The first varsity eight team finished in just under six minutes (5:58.7) and won by over 10 seconds. The varsity four team won by about four seconds (7:14.5).

The next challenge for the Huskies is Brown University this weekend in the Dreissigacker Cup in Providence, R.I.

“We will need to go very fast in order to beat Brown,” Pojednic said. “We are working on it. Brown has been ranked 2nd to 4th through the early part of the season and were 2nd at last year’s national championship.”

Meanwhile, the Northeastern women’s rowing team competed at the Knecht Cup in Cherry Hill, N.J. against Villanova University, University of Delaware, University of Connecticut, Fordham University, Fairfield University, Kansas University and the University of Maryland. The Huskies are 2-6 on the season.

“The purpose for going to this race was to see some of the CAA schools and other crews from around the country that we don’t normally have an opportunity to race against,” coach Joe Wilhelm said. “It was difficult to set expectations since we didn’t have a lot of cross over results with these schools. The goal was to execute our race plan to the best of our ability regardless of who was in the race or what place we were in.”

The second varsity eight won the grand finals (6:47.20) in a tight race where they edged out Kansas by .82 seconds. The novice four team took third (8:00.98), 10 seconds behind first and five seconds out of second place.

The varsity eight and varsity four teams also both made it to the finals where they placed fourth and fifth respectively.

“The crews who won medals executed the race plan well, and didn’t let anything affect what they were there to do,” Wilhelm said. “The varsity eight, the varsity four and the second varsity four did not do a good job of this and the results were consistent with their execution. We need to do a better job of staying within our own boats, and executing the race plan in any race situation.”

The Huskies now have a two week break until they face BU in the Beanpot on April 28. Wilhelm said the team plans on training to get back on track after having some early season struggles.

“We will continue to work on being consistent with our effort and execution in practice,” Wilhelm said. “Every boat showed the capability to be on the medal stand this weekend, at the Eastern Sprints and in the CAA championships. We just need to stay confident and execute to the best of our ability.”