Fresh faces bring experience to club lacrosse

By Jodie Ng, News Correspondent

Although the Northeastern men’s club lacrosse team bid farewell to talented veteran players like Kyle Bedell and Dave Margolius, the team has plenty of new but experienced faces on the field this year.

“I think we’re pretty good for how long we’ve been together for, because there’s a lot of new faces on the team and it hasn’t seemed like it’s been affecting the team at all,” Jared Fong said.  “It’s all about playing well together instead of one or two players.”

Fong, a sophomore, is one of the new additions to the team. He graduated from Weston High School from which Gettysburg College recruited him to be a goalie, a position he’s been familiar with since the sixth grade. He decided to transfer to Northeastern for the co-op program and to pursue a communications major.

Although he transitioned from a varsity program to a club sport, Fong said he prefers club, as “it’s more fun.” But he also aims to win the Men’s Collegiate Lacrosse Association (MCLA) tournament. He said that he has “quick hands” and is “good at clearing the ball.”

Fong achieved league all-star each years of high school, won the state championships during his junior year and was named captain senior year.

Though Fong is new, he said he appreciates captain Mike Lehmann’s contributions as a veteran.

“I think he’s a really good leader and he’s been doing everything he should be doing as a captain,” Fong said.

Among the incoming talent is also Graham Sacks who was captain of his high school team. Sacks initially played varsity at Keene State College but, like Fong, transferred to Northeastern after his freshman year and took a break from lacrosse. He is now a third year business major with a concentration in marketing.

“I’ve had a year off from lacrosse, which is kind of new for me,” Sacks said. “I’ve never had a year off. It’s a good a workout to just shoot so I did some of that, but being in a team again is what I’m probably most looking forward to.”

Sacks, dual county league all-star and offensive MVP, doesn’t only hope to be a strong addition to the offense but also strives “to follow the lead of those who are always giving it a 100 percent during practice.”

Also joining the fold is Dover-Sherborn native Samuel Higley. Higley enters the team with 10 years of experience, playing junior varsity his freshman year at Dover-Sherborn High School and receiving a varsity letter for the remaining three years. Although he is new to the collegiate level, Higley said he is confident in his ability to be an asset to the Huskies.

“I’ve always been a fast-shooter for my high school team so hopefully I can bring that fast-shot to the team here,” Higley said. “I’m very excited. I can’t wait.”

Higley described the intensity level as very high, but continues to look forward to the first game and “getting back to the field with other players.”

Players often grow and learn from one another, and that is exactly what Higley hopes to gain this season.

“I think having people to look up to is always great,” he said. “From their experience, I can learn what helped them get better.”

Woodrow Hedberg is another incoming freshman. He earned a varsity letter all four years at Plymouth Regional High School and was captain his senior year. He received second team all-state award sophomore year and first team all-state nominations junior and senior year.

Hedberg, a mechanical engineering major, also played on the New Hampshire Tomahawks, an elite New England lacrosse team.

“My goal for the season right now is to get better as a player,” Hedberg said. “This is my first year on the team and I don’t really know what to expect. I am really just looking forward to playing lacrosse and having fun.”

Regardless of a player’s year or experience, college ball reaches a new level of intensity and atmosphere.

“This is the highest quality team that I have played on,” Hedberg said. “It is definitely something that I enjoy. This just will help me push myself to become a better player.”

The Huskies put their teamwork to the test this Sunday at their first scrimmages against Babson College and Regis College at 4 p.m. p.m.