Recap: Swimming & diving pulls one win from quad meet

By Ellyn Bailey, News Correspondent

In this past weekend’s quad meet in Fairfax, Va., Northeastern’s swimming and diving team saw one victory over College of Charleston and two losses at the hands of George Mason University and Towson University. This marked Northeastern’s first quad meet in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) season.

First the Huskies went head-to-head against  the College of Charleston, whom they bested by over 130 points with scores of 242.50 to 110.50. This can be partially attributed to powerhouse senior diver Candace Young and graduate student swimmer Addison Koelle. Young finished second in the 3-meter dive with an impressive score of 250.50. During the 100-yard backstroke, Addison Koelle, the team’s only graduate student, nabbed one of the Huskies’ only first place wins in the 100-yard butterfly with an incredible time of 56:42.

However, the Huskies found themselves at a loss against Towson University’s swimmers, who proved themselves a force to be reckoned with. Towson, who triumphed over Northeastern 270.50 to 82.50, maintained first place leads in every event. Nevertheless, the Huskies established impressive scores during the meet. Junior Anna Schegoleva’s achieved a time of 58:31 in the 100-yard backstroke, which was enough to land her a third place finish. Senior Julia Sepulveda snagged fourth place with a time of 4:34:74 in the 400-yard individual medley.

Unfortunately, these times were not good enough to defeat Towson, whose swimmers proved to be formidable. The Huskies’ relay teams, which usually place first or second, were relegated to 4th place in each of the three relay events. The team consisting of Schegoleva, senior Alvarez, Koelle and freshman Jordan Domeier finished with a time of 3:53:43 in the 400-yard medley relay. In the 400-yard freestyle relay, junior Jessica Colucci, freshman Rachel Green, Julia Sepulveda and Jordan Domeier finished at 3:36:17. Finally, Schegoleva, Colucci, Green and junior Erica DeMunbrun finished at 1:38:55.

In the next meet of the season on Nov. 9, the Huskies swim at Brown University.