Swimming & diving team claims six first-place wins in tri-meet

By Ellyn Bailey, News Correspondent

The Northeastern Huskies traveled to Providence, R.I. Saturday for the first tri-meet of the season. Rising up from last week’s loss to Towson University, Northeastern’s record-breaking swimmers and divers claimed six first-place wins against the Brown University Bears and the University of Massachusetts Minutewomen. These are the most wins the Huskies have achieved since the first meet of the season against Boston College.

Northeastern’s first meet was against UMass, which they defeated 166 to 134. This was partially because of the strength of the relay swimmers. During the first event, a team consisting of senior Julia Alvarez, freshman Jordan Domeier, graduate student Addison Koelle and Anna junior Schegoleva finished first in the 400-yard medley relay with an impressive time of 3:51.71. Senior Colleen McCormack earned the team’s second first-place win of the day in the 1,000-yard freestyle in 2:04.15.

McCormack, who consistently swims well in distance events, said she has high hopes for the Huskies this year.

“Our goal is to place higher than we have in the past in our CAA [Colonial Athletic Association] conference at the end of the season,” McCormack said.

With divers like senior Candace Young, who regularly scores well, that goal might be within reach. However, Young’s scores were not good enough to place above fifth in both women’s diving events behind the UMass Minutewomen, who have established a formidable team of divers.

Despite managing high scores and multiple first-place wins throughout the meet, the Huskies were unable to defeat Brown in the 200-yard freestyle relay, which is typically one of the team’s stronger events.  The four-person team of freshman Rachel Green, junior Erica Demunbrun, sophomore Amanda Liew, and junior Jessica Colucci came in third place with a time of 1:37.99. Ultimately, the Huskies lost to Brown 156 to 144.

The next swimming and diving meet of the season will be the Terrier Invitational at Boston University on Nov. 22.