Men’s hockey ties Maine on Friday night

By Chris Judd, News Staff

Sophomore forward Kevin Roy and junior forward Adam Reid had a two on one opportunity with a minute left in over time.

​Roy took the puck from the middle of the ice and skated to the left, taking the defender with him. He passed to Reid in front of the net, who had space. Maine senior goalie Martin Ouellette came across and made the save in a game that ended as a tie.

​The Huskies came into the game after freshman forward Dalen Hedges, freshman defenseman Matt Benning and junior captain Josh Manson got injured last week against UMass.

​”I liked the way we played defensively,” said Northeastern coach Jim Madigan. “I thought the two guys who played more minutes, [Fennell and Schechter] did a good job back there and they got confidence as the game went along. I thought we did a good job of limiting shots.”

​The Huskies had a scoring opportunity 11 minutes into the game when sophomore defender Mike Gunn lobbed a pass over the Maine defense. The puck landed in the offensive zone, where Roy had a breakaway. Maine senior goalie Martin Ouellette made the save with his left glove.

​The Black Bears scored with 2:55 left in the period when sophomore forward Steven Swavely passed to junior forward Connor Leen in front of the net. The Northeastern defense lost him in coverage, so he turned and beat Witt five hole.

​Maine made it a 2-0 game 24 seconds into the second period when sophomore defender Conor Riley shot from the right side. The puck bounced off a defender and landed in the middle of the ice, where Swavely knocked the puck into the net.

​The Huskies scored their first goal of the game on the power play. Sophomore defender Jarrett Fennell passed to Saucerman along the blue line. Saucerman sidestepped the defender and fired a slap shot into the upper left corner of the net.

​”He’s an offensive defenseman,” said Madigan. “He likes to jump in that offense, he likes to get pucks to the net and he’s the one guy for us that can get pucks to the net really well. He’s got a good shot, I guess Kevin deflected one of them, but Saucerman had 2 or 3 other really good looks today in the high slot area.”

​The Huskies thought they tied the game three minutes later when freshman forward Mike Szmatula had a wraparound and shot the puck at net. Roy and sophomore forward Mike McMurtry crashed the net and knocked the puck in. However, the ref blew the play dead before the puck went in.

​The Huskies scored three seconds later after the resulting faceoff went to Saucerman, who fired a slapshot. Roy redirected the puck, which went in the bottom right corner of the net to tie the game 2-2.

​Northeastern got its first lead of the game with 5:36 remaining in the second period. Senior forward Braden Pimm took the puck to the net from the right side of the ice. Ouellette stopped the puck at the post, but freshman forward John Stevens came in from behind the red line and knocked the puck in through the five hole.

​The Black Bears tied the game less than two minutes later when they had a 3 on 2 rush. Sophomore defender Ben Hutton passed to freshman forward Briang Morgan on the left side. Morgan passed to freshman Blaine Byron in front of the net, who shot at an open net and tied the game 3-3.

​Maine broke the tie with 6:03 remaining in the third. After a penalty kill, Sophomore Devin Shore came out of the penalty box and beat Gunn for a loose puck in the Northeastern zone. He took the puck to the front of the net, and dropped it back to senior forward Mark Anthoine, who beat Witt five hole.

​Pimm tied the game with 1:11 left. Roy kept a play alive at the blue line and passed it deep. Szmatula took the puck to the red line and passed to Pimm at the top of the left circle. Pimm shot it past Ouellette.

​”I had an opportunity earlier in the game and I missed the net, so I was lucky I got another opportunity,” said Pimm. “I just tried to shoot it as hard as I could. I was lucky enough to get a pass from Szmatula. He’s always a good playmaker, so we got the opportunity and tried to make the most of it.”

​Maine had a good scoring opportunity in overtime with 1:17 left when they took the puck hard to the net and created a scrum in front of Witt. Witt was able to get a glove on the puck to kill it.

​The Huskies failed to convert on a 2 on 1 opportunity 10 seconds later. Neither team could score in over time, and the game ended 4-4.