Women’s Hockey Clinches the No. 3 seed for Playoffs

By Sara Shaker, News Correspondent 

Redshirt-senior forward Brittany Esposito scored five goals this weekend as the Northeastern women’s hockey team closed out the regular season with a pair of wins over the University of New Hampshire. The Huskies earned a 5-4 victory Saturday and a 4-2 victory Sunday.

Saturday’s game was senior day for Northeastern, and the seniors like Esposito, redshirt-senior forward Kelly Wallce and senior captain defenseman Maggie Brennolt shined. Each had at least one goal for the occasion.

“I thought we played well. I didn’t think it was our best effort. We’ve had better games this past month and a half,” head coach Dave Flint said. “Obviously happy with two wins.”

In Saturday’s game, UNH kicked off the scoring with a goal by junior Jenna Lascelle eight minutes into the first period.

Northeastern responded quickly, as Esposito scored a goal 16 seconds later, scored by Esposito. Senior defenseman Sonia St. Martin threw a pass to Esposito who cut across the UNH zone to the right circle, where she took a wrist shot into the upper left hand corner of the net.

After racking up numerous points this past weekend, Esposito was named Warrior Co-Player of the Week in Hockey East on Monday.

“[Esposito] had a great weekend,” Flint said.

The Wildcats started the second period with a goal scored by junior Kayla Mork two minutes in. Esposito kept the Huskies in the game. On a power play, Esposito passed to Wallace in the UNH zone, who took a wrist shot from the left side of the net that slipped in through the five-hole.

With the game tied 2-2, Northeastern kept the momentum up. Senior forward Claire Santostefano blocked a UNH pass in the offensive zone, causing a turnover. Santostefano backhanded it to Esposito who put in her second goal of the night.

The Wildcats closed out the second period with a goal scored by senior Jessica Hitchock on a power play, making the game tied at 3-3.

The Huskies took the lead once again with a goal scored by freshman defenseman Heather Mottau. Sophomore defenseman Tori Hickel passed to Mottau from behind Northeastern’s net and Mottau carried the puck all the way to the other end, scoring Northeastern’s fourth goal from the right circle.

Hitchcock tied things up for UNH once again at the 15:31 mark, making the score 4-4. Thirty seconds later, Brennolt took a shot from the point, scoring her first career game-winning goal and ending the game 5-4.

Sunday’s game was another victory for the Huskies. And with the win, Northeastern clinched the No. 3 seed for the Hockey East playoffs. Once again, Esposito was the star with her first career hat trick.

The Huskies started the first period with a highlight-reel goal from Esposito. Santostefano threw the puck to Esposito at center ice, who then weaved around defenders into the UNH zone, deking the goalie with a backhand.

“That first goal at UNH went down as one of [Esposito’s] nicer goals in four years,” Flint said. “It was pretty impressive.”

Just over a minute later, junior Hannah Armstrong tied the game with a goal for New Hampshire. However, Esposito appeared determined to make this her weekend.

With the second period underway, Esposito scored two more goals for Northeastern within 2:17. Santostefano assisted Esposito’s second goal and freshman forward Hayley Masters and freshman forward Hayley Scamurra assisted her third goal, completing the hat trick.

Armstrong scored another goal for UNH just under six minutes into the third period, making the score 3-2.

Savage responded halfway through the period, scoring off a rebound. Junior defenseman Colleen Murphy took a shot from the left point and Savage tried to deflect it. With a block from the goalie, Savage took another shot off the rebound, making the final score 4-2, and finishing the regular season with a win.

With playoffs starting this weekend, the team has three days of practice to prepare.

“Our expectations are to get back to the championship,” Flint said.

The Huskies begin the playoffs against the No. 6 University of Connecticut on Friday, Feb. 28 in the WHEA Quarterfinals at 7 p.m. at Matthews Arena.

“We’ll keep doing what’s working and be ready for Friday night,” Flint said.