Men’s baseball shuts out Rhode Island in road competition on Tuesday

By Bailey Knecht, News Correspondent 

Once again on Tuesday, pitching proved to be the Northeastern baseball team’s main key to success this season. Isaac Lippert threw six strikeouts and led the Huskies to a 6-0 win at University of Rhode Island just days after Northeastern won two of three games at the College of Charleston.

“Lippert was awesome,” assistant coach Mike Glavine said. “He threw a lot of strikes and attacked hitters. He’s been awesome for us all year. Isaac’s a really good pitcher, and he takes the ball whenever you ask him.”

Improving his ERA to a team best 0.69, Lippert only allowed two hits and a walk throughout his seven innings.

“I just kind of went out there with the same approach as always: throw strikes, establish the fastball, rely on the defense. Everything kind of seemed to go my way,” the lefty junior said. “I really like starting. It was the first start I’ve had this year. It’s fun to go that deep into a game and really feel like it’s your game. It’s a nice feeling of accomplishment.”

The Huskies had similar success on the offensive end. Early on, junior Jason Vosler sent senior Connor Lyons home with an RBI double, putting Northeastern up 1-0 in the first inning. Vosler finished the game two for five.

The fourth inning brought a rush of scoring for Northeastern. Freshman Jimmy Hand’s two-run triple sent two runners home, while Josh Teff’s single allowed Hand to score as well. The Huskies ended the fourth leading 5-0.

Northeastern added its sixth and final run in the eighth inning. Michael Foster hit a single, stole second and then scored off a Rhode Island error. His stolen base marks a team-high nine on the season.

Freshman Aaron Civale relieved Lippert in the eighth, throwing two perfect innings and striking out three batters.

Two Northeastern players were recently honored by the Colonial Athletic Association for their impressive play. On Monday, James Mulry was named Pitcher of the Week, and Dustin Hunt earned his second Rookie of the Week honor, continuing his hot start.