Baseball takes two of three contests in weekend Colonial Athletic Association series at Charleston

By Jessica Geller, News Correspondent 

The Northeastern men’s baseball team (12-11, 2-1 CAA) moved above .500 for the first time this season, after winning two of three at the College of Charleston this past weekend. Just like last weekend at Villanova University, the Huskies lost Friday but came back strong behind senior pitcher Chris Carmain and freshman pitcher Dustin Hunt.

“If we win two out of three each weekend, regardless of what two we win, that’s a successful series,” Northeastern assistant coach Mike Glavine said.

Before the series could begin, multiple rain storms forced first pitch on Friday to be rescheduled several times. Once play got underway, junior starting pitcher Nick Berger pitched tremendously. He struck out six and allowed just one unearned run in five innings. However, his outing was cut short when the rain returned in the middle of the sixth.

“A rain delay like that can really have a huge effect on a player and his team mentally,” freshman pitcher Nick Fanneron said. “My teammates and I did a good job of staying mentally prepared to play by never expecting the game to be cancelled … We also played some fun games with each other in the dugout during the long delay to stay loose.”

After Berger’s day was done, Northeastern’s bats failed to show up Friday. In the top of the ninth, they loaded the bases but sophomore infielder Shane Allen fouled out to the catcher to stop the possible comeback. Charleston held on to win 3-0.

Saturday afternoon’s game was a different story, with the Huskies stringing together  three runs in the fourth inning. Senior outfielder Brad Burcroff led off the frame by reaching base on an error and stealing second. Next, freshman catcher Joey Scambia walked. Burcroff then scored when senior outfielder Sean Lyons hit into a fielder’s choice. After walking sophomore infielder Mike Piscopo, the Cougars’ Bailey Ober threw redshirt-sophomore Josh Treff a pitch to hit and the catcher ripped a 2-RBI double to give the Huskies a 3-0 lead.

Northeastern added another run in the fifth when senior outfielder Connor Lyons’ single scored Piscopo.

Charleston made it close in the eighth, scoring on a wild pitch and then following an error. Redshirt-sophomore infielder Michael Foster saved the 4-3 game in the ninth, recording his fourth save of the season.

Sunday’s rubber match had Northeastern down 2-1 going into the seventh. Three consecutive walks by Cougars’ pitcher Nathan Helvey to Connor Lyons, junior infielder Jason Vosler, and Foster loaded the bases. Fanneron hit a 2-RBI single to bring Northeastern ahead 3-2. Sean Lyons followed with his own RBI-single to give the Huskies a 4-2 lead. Fanneron scored the fifth run as Sean Lyons dodged multiple tag attempts at second base.

Fanneron had his first multi-RBI and second multi-hit game of the year. He said that his approach at the plate was on target.

“I made sure that I was on time and ready to hit each pitch and was aggressive at the plate when the pitcher threw a pitch that I could hit,” Fanneron said. “I also made sure to be aware of the situations and have an idea of what the pitcher might throw to me based off of what he threw to my teammates.”

Hunt earned his third win of the season, pitching a career-high 7.1 innings. Northeastern won Sunday afternoon, 5-3.

The Huskies’ pitching staff has been consistently strong this season. Sophomore pitcher James Mulry recorded his first career save Sunday.

“Our entire pitching staff pitched very, very well,” Glavine said. “Pitching is the most important element of the game. If we are kept in the game, into the middle to late innings, we always have a chance [to win].”