NU cross country teams dominate

By Bailey Knecht, Sports Editor

Like many of the Northeastern squads, the men’s and women’s cross country teams had a jam-packed weekend to kick off the 2014 athletic season. The two teams travelled to New Hampshire to compete in the Keene State College-hosted KSC Alumni Invitational on Saturday.

The Husky runners looked to continue their success after an outstanding 2013 season. Seniors Stephen Sollowin and Zachary Fraielli led last year’s team to a number of fifth or better finishes, including first at the Nassaney Invitational and second at the CAA Championships.

The women also thrived in 2013, claiming first against Boston University and Bryant University at the Nassaney Invitational. They came in fourth at the CAA Championships, with Lucy Young, now a sophomore, finishing first among freshmen. Young was the 2013 CAA Women’s Rookie of the Year and was named to the 2013 All-CAA Women’s Cross Country Team.

This year’s races at KSC were successful for both the Northeastern men and women, with both teams taking first. The men walked away from their 5K with a total score of 18, while the women finished with a score of 17 in their two-mile race.

Freshman runners Benjamin Trapani and Garrett Scanlon finished with times of 16:25 and 16:38, respectively, to claim first and second place.

All of the top-four finishers for the women were Northeastern runners. Senior Kate Johnstone ran her two miles in 11:17, followed by freshmen additions Kerri Ruffo, Madeline Bradford and Corinne Myers with respective times of 11:44, 12:09 and 12:18.

The team has made some recent changes in the coaching department for the upcoming season. Marla Runyan, a two-time Olympian, has been named volunteer assistant coach. In addition to 1500 and 5000-meter experience, Runyan has competed in numerous marathons, finishing as the top American in the New York, Boston and Chicago marathons.

Mark Rinker, who has worked with the Oregon Track Club Elite, Nike’s Professional Track and Field Team based in Eugene, Ore., has been named distance coach.

This November, Northeastern will host the CAA Championships for the first time since 2005. The race will be held in Franklin Park.

The next competition will take place in Rhode Island this weekend at the Nassaney Invitational.

Photo Courtesy of Northeastern Athletics