Men’s soccer lacks luck in weekend shutouts

By Jessica Geller, deputy sports editor

Luck is missing from the Husky lineup, according to Northeastern University men’s soccer sophomore forward Christian McKenna in reference to the team’s last two match-ups. This past weekend, the Huskies participated in the 39th annual Stihl Soccer Classic in Virginia, playing against Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) and Old Dominion University (ODU).

Friday night at VCU, the soccer team went down 2-0 within a span of three minutes, and a come-from-behind win was not feasible.

Twelve minutes into the first half, VCU junior Kharlton Belmar scored the first goal. Less than three minutes later, redshirt sophomore Devon Fisher was back in Northeastern territory, getting the ball past freshman goalie Jonathan Thuresson. Thuresson had five saves to tie his season high.

The Rams were aggressive from whistle to whistle, scoring the goals unassisted. Northeastern was outshot by VCU, 12-5.

Christian McKenna led the Huskies with two shots on goal.

“It’s just getting the first goal,” McKenna said. “We’ve had a lot chances. The luck has just been missing.”

Freshman forward Harry Swartz had an opportunity early in the second half, but the Rams’ goalie, redshirt sophomore Garrett Cyprus, was in the right place to keep Northeastern shut out.

Several freshmen made their college debuts Friday night. Midfielder Charlton Muhlauri got the start, and defender Lewis Aird came in as a substitute.

Northeastern is now 6-4-2 against VCU.

The Huskies hoped their luck would improve as they traveled to Norfolk, Va. to face Old Dominion University on Sunday. ODU was ranked 25th in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America preseason poll.

Northeastern junior goalkeeper Dylan Faber had his first start of the season. He made six saves, tying his career high, but needed one more as the Monarchs scored in the 77th minute.

Old Dominion junior Geoffrey Hill shot the ball into the right side of the net as junior Ryan Condotta was there with the assist.

McKenna and freshman forward Frantzdy Pierrot had a chance to put Northeastern on the board in the second half, but McKenna scuffed and couldn’t send the ball to the goal. Technique has been the focus of the daily three-hour practices.

“[Brendan Burke and Conrad Whyte] are tremendous and have helped us a lot technically,” McKenna said of the two new coaches. “A lot of practice is just based on technique. You could see it against Old Dominion especially. We moved the ball carefully.”

Senior forward Donovan Fayd’Herbe de Maudave had the most shots on goal with two. Northeastern was outshot by ODU 17-9.

Northeastern, now with a record of 1-3, returns to Parsons Field on Saturday night against University of Massachusetts Lowell. A big crowd showed up at the home-opener, and the team hopes fans will come back in full force to help get Northeastern back in the win column.

Photo by Jim Pierce, Northeastern Athletics