Frisky Husky delivers free contraception

Corey Dockser

Packages delivered through Frisky Husky include contraceptives such as condoms, oral dams and water-based lubricants.

Yunkyo Kim, news staff

The Office of Prevention and Education, or OPEN, piloted the Frisky Husky program last semester to deliver free sexual health supplies with guaranteed confidentiality to Northeastern University students who live in on-campus housing.

In its second semester of operation, Frisky Husky remains a pilot program, but administrators say they received positive responses from its users so far.

“We’re really excited to share that all students who have placed orders have supplies and we were able to meet all of their requests from the students who ordered from the pilot program,” said Stephanie Ellman, the program administrator at OPEN who helped create the program, which was modeled after a similar initiative at Boston University.

Students in need of sexual health products can order through the OPEN website to gain access to contraceptives such as condoms, oral dams and water-based lubricants. Through the delivery service, OPEN also aims to provide education on sexually transmitted infection testing and affirmative consent.

Ally Lowits, president of NU Sexual Health Advocacy, Resources and Education, or NU SHARE, said that the program was beneficial, but that it should be extended beyond on-campus housing.

“As a human being, I think access to safe sex is super important and it’s great that Northeastern is providing it at people’s doorsteps,” said Lowitz, a second-year psychology major. “Unfortunately, it’s only for students living on-campus; I believe they’re trying to work on that though.”

The OPEN office plans to gather official feedback from Frisky Husky’s users and consider expanding the program to serve larger geographic regions of the NU student body.  

“We’ll continue to look at demands to see where we’re really doing well, where there might be some opportunities to get the education or the supplies to the hands of more students,” Ellman said.  

SGA President Dylan Balcom said in a February interview with The News that he hopes to work toward adding a similar service that delivers menstrual products to students.