NU plates 32 in three games against Delaware to win series

File photo by Riley Robinson

Redshirt freshman Corey DiLoreto celebrates after scoring a run in a March 16 game against Holy Cross.

Mike Puzzanghera, sports editor

Strong offensive showings in the first and third games of the series led the Huskies to a 2-1 series win over Delaware at Friedman Diamond this past weekend.

In the opening game, senior captain Tyler Brown took the mound for the Huskies (14-13, 4-2 CAA). After a few rocky starts this season, Brown was able to right the ship with six innings of three-run ball (none earned), striking out six in the process. His performance helped stifle the Blue Hens’ (7-19, 2-4) offense and led Northeastern to a 13-4 win Friday.

“We’ve had faith in him the entire year, we know what he’s capable of, and it was just a matter of time before it came out,” senior first baseman Jake Farrell said of Brown. “It came out here today, and he threw the ball really well and put us in a great position to win.”

Offensively, the Huskies got five RBI from sophomore outfielder Jeff Costello. Costello hit a grand slam in the third inning for his first home run of the year and added an RBI double on the tenth pitch of his at-bat in the fifth.

Farrell added four RBI of his own, three coming on a two-out double in the sixth inning and the fourth on a triple in the eighth.

“It started in the first inning. We get shut out on Wednesday [against Rhode Island] and the first batter of the game for us hits a triple and we score right away two batters in,” head coach Mike Glavine said. “I think that gave our offense a lot of confidence, and then huge hits from Farrell and Costello today. Corey DiLoreto was on a bunch of times, had a good day again, like he’s been doing. That’s what our offense is capable of doing, so it was good seeing it today.”

On Saturday, the Blue Hens managed to take game two, 7-3.

The Huskies got out to an early 3-0 lead backed by a solo home run from sophomore DH Ian Fair. DiLoreto and junior second baseman Jake Rosen added the other two RBI as the Huskies were up 3-0 at the end of the third inning.

However, Delaware came back late, scoring two on a sixth-inning Jack Goan single before adding five more in the seventh to take the lead. Jordan Hutchkins’ RBI single gave Delaware the 4-3 lead before Joseph Carpenter clubbed a three-run homer to bust the game open.

Sunday saw the Huskies win the rubber game of the series, 16-8, to win the series 2-1.

As they did in the prior two games, Northeastern jumped out to an early lead. Farrell’s first-inning RBI single gave them a 1-0 lead and they added four more in the second, with Fair and DiLoreto each hitting RBI doubles in the frame.

The third inning saw the Huskies tack on three more, with Rosen hitting a triple to score senior outfielder Cam Walsh before senior third baseman Ryan Solomon hit his first home run of the season, scoring Rosen. They took a 11-1 lead by the end of the fifth inning.

Delaware battled back in the seventh, putting up a seven spot with Goan hitting a two-run double before Zack Miller brought him home with a single. Miller’s single made the score 11-8 with Delaware threatening to undo a 10-run lead.

The Huskies responded with four runs in the bottom of the seventh with Rosen driving in two more with a double. Fair added an RBI single in the eighth to make the final score 16-8.

Northeastern is one of two teams in the conference (Elon) with wins in their two opening CAA series. They sit in a tie for second place in the CAA with a 4-2 conference record, putting them level with William & Mary and Charleston, while Elon resides in first place with a 5-1 record.

The Huskies will face Harvard (13-6) in the Baseball Beanpot at Boston College’s Harrington Athletics Village on Tuesday and UMass (5-15) on the road Wednesday before coming back to Friedman Diamond for a three-game conference set against Hofstra (3-18, 0-3 CAA).