Women’s soccer falls to Providence in overtime

Jordan Baron, sports editor

In their fourth straight overtime game, the Huskies took a loss to Providence College by a score of 2-1.

The Huskies (3-6) began the game aggressively, putting two shots up before the 13th minute against the Friar (5-3-1) defense — one went wide and the other was saved by redshirt junior goalkeeper Shelby Hogan. The Huskies’ aggressive playstyle to start the game also resulted in three fouls in the first half.

The game was back-and-forth for much of the first half and was scoreless nearing the final minutes. However, just after the 44th minute, NU senior midfielder Kerri Zerfoss, who subbed into the game during the 21st minute, received a cross from the left side from redshirt sophomore forward Kayla McCauley. Zerfoss pivoted and jumped into the air to meet the ball, which she slotted past Hogan for the first goal of the game.

The aggressive playstyle that worked for the Huskies in the first half came back to bite them in the second. Just under seven minutes into the half, Providence sophomore forward Elayna Grillakis took a shot on goal that was saved by freshman keeper Angeline Friel. Friel, who had recently been subbed in, was charged with a foul on the play, resulting in a penalty kick for the Friars. Grillakis converted the opportunity for Providence, putting the ball past Friel to even the score at 1-1.

Both teams put together fantastic defensive efforts, and the rest of the second half did not result in much action, sending the game into overtime.

Redshirt sophomore keeper Megan Adams checked back into the game at the start of overtime. Just under six minutes later, Providence junior forward Hannah McNulty opened space just outside the box and sent a shot towards the Husky goal. Adam’s effort was not enough, and the ball cascaded into the goal to give the Friars a 2-1 win.

The Huskies will look to end their two-game skid Thursday at home against Towson University (3-5-1).