ITS to require two-factor authentication for all students

Deanna Schwartz

Starting in November, students will have to use Duo two-factor authentication to log in to myNortheastern.

Deanna Schwartz, campus editor

Starting in November, logging into myNortheastern or Blackboard will require an extra step.

Students will have to respond to a push notification on their phone from the Duo app after entering their password to comply with the newly required two-factor authentication system. 

“Northeastern is expanding the use of two-factor authentication (2FA) as part of the university’s broader efforts to keep personal and institutional information secure,” Mark T. Nardone, NU’s chief information security officer, wrote in an email to all students Tuesday. 

Other systems requiring two-factor authentication will include Office 365, Banner and HuskyMail.

The new system will be instituted in waves, with differing enrollment deadlines: Nov. 5 for Khoury College of Computer Sciences, College of Engineering and College of Social Sciences and Humanities and Nov. 13 for Bouvé College of Health Sciences, College of Arts, Media and Design, College of Science and D’Amore-McKim School of Business. The deadline will be Nov. 19 for College of Professional Studies, School of Law and all remaining students. 

Faculty and staff have been using the two-factor authentication system since May. 

Other colleges in the area also use the Duo system, including Berklee College of Music, Boston University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University.