SGA adds new positions to cabinet, executive board

SGA passed two resolutions creating positions for an Executive Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion as well as a Vice President for Sustainability. 

Jessica Silverman, deputy campus editor

The Student Government Association, or SGA, passed five resolutions, two of them creating new positions on both the executive board and the cabinet, at a full body session Nov. 25.

The resolutions created positions for an Executive Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion as well as a Vice President for Sustainability. 

Currently, the issue of sustainability falls under the oversight of Student Services in their designated Sustainability Board, while the issue of diversity and inclusion falls under the Student Affairs committee, in its own respective subcommittee. 

Vice President for Student Affairs Erykah Kangbeya voiced her support for the resolution regarding diversity and inclusion. Initiatives and issues regarding these topics currently fall under the responsibilities of Kangbeya’s committee. Kangbeya cited statistics comparing Northeastern to other colleges in the Colonial Group of Teaching and Learning. In a prepared speech, Kangbeya explained that of the 14 colleges in the Group, only two universities do not have a similar position within student government: Northeastern and University of Miami.

While both resolutions passed with unanimous consent, President Chris Brown voiced his concerns during debate. Brown cited lack of data on these positions for his hesitation on their creation. He proposed that a pilot program be put in place in order to determine the success of these positions before they are officially added to the cabinet and executive board. 

Others argued that a pilot program was unnecessary, pointing to the fact that the Sustainability Board has acted as a pilot program for years now, and that because it is such a priority among students, it needs to be addressed as soon as possible. When it comes to the position regarding diversity and inclusion, proponents argued that creating the position would give the issues the respect it deserves. 

The other resolutions passed included delegating previous referenda questions to a specific vice president, changes in the wording of SGA’s constitution and an update regarding the referendum on a student member of the board of trustees. 

Additionally, three people were confirmed into new positions: Executive Director of Events Ryan Clapper and Historians Hannah Nivar and Dominika Petrasova. 

The two positions voted on will be added to the executive board and cabinet within SGA once an amendment is made to the association’s constitution.