Men’s basketball faces another close loss against Delaware

Sarah Olender

Maxime Boursiquot scored a career-high of 18 points in today’s game.

Valeria Vazquez, deputy sports editor

Northeastern’s men’s basketball team lost by two points for the fourth time this season in an intense game against the University of Delaware, 76-74.

“74 points is plenty of enough points to win a basketball game, but if you’re not going to sit down and guard, if you’re going to allow second chance opportunities, you’re not going to win many games,” said NU head coach Bill Coen. 

The Blue Hens (15-7, 5-4 CAA) redshirt junior guard Nate Darling led the game with 34 points followed by Husky (11-10, 5-4 CAA) redshirt senior guard Jordan Roland’s 27 points.

However, the spotlight shined on redshirt junior guard Maxime Boursiquot, as he scored 18 points, a career-high.

“He played very well,” Coen said. “Right from the jump I thought he had great energy, it’s a great sign for Max and it’s a great sign for us.”

The first half was full of great plays by the Huskies, including when freshman guard Tyson Walker lost the ball, grabbed it as it rolled away from him and threw it to graduate student guard Guilien Smith as he jumped for three. However, the half was missing senior guard Bolden Brace, unlike the last game against Drexel, as he spent most of the half on the bench after an early foul. 

Roland did not score until 13 minutes into the game, but those remaining seven minutes of the first half were all his. He first scored when he went for a layup, immediately followed by a three with a steal and assist from Walker. Roland was fouled as he went for a three, and was able to bring the Husky lead to 37-25 with his free throws. 

With one minute left, Walker made a three and the half ended 42-29. 

The Blue Hens clawed their way back in the second half, but the Huskies put up a good fight until the very end. 

Blue Hens junior guard Kevin Anderson tied the game at 67 with two free throws. From there, the Blue Hens and the Huskies tossed the lead back and forth, and it looked like the Huskies were going to pull through.

But Walker had garnered multiple fouls and messy plays, allowing UD to collect points off free throws and eventually steal the lead from NU.

After the Huskies called a timeout with four seconds left on the clock, what seemed to be an elaborate play to get Roland the ball for a winning three was ruined when Walker lost the ball to UD senior forward Jacob Cushing. Walker was visibly frustrated and emotional.

“He’s a freshman, with that comes a learning curve,” Coen said. “The game at the collegiate level is a little more physical. It’s designed to prey on your weaknesses and he fell into the trap today. He’s an outstanding player and he’s going to be a very great player here.” 

The game ended with one made and one missed free throw by Walker, 76-74. 

Although the game ended sour for NU, there were still numerous NU basketball alumni in the crowd to cheer the boys on and Coach Coen still plans on donating $1 to the American Cancer Society for every student in attendance. 

The Huskies travel to William & Mary (15-6, 7-1 CAA) Thursday for a 7 p.m. game.