Northeastern to use part of Symphony Hall for fall dining

cohen+wing

Deanna Schwartz

The Cohen Wing of Symphony Hall is located on Huntington Avenue.

Deanna Schwartz, managing editor

Northeastern is leasing the Cohen Wing of Boston’s Symphony Hall for “student dining, ‘grab ‘n go’ meal distribution, and student collaboration,” according to a letter from Northeastern administrators sent to the Boston Planning and Development Agency July 16. The university intends to use approximately 14,000 square feet of the space for a six-month period, from Aug. 15 to Feb. 14, 2021. 

Northeastern Media Relations did not immediately respond to an inquiry about the exact use of this space, but the letter states that “no additional use for this space is anticipated at this time” and Northeastern will not be using any other space in Symphony Hall.

The letter states that “reduced density protocols will be in place” in the bathrooms and “the furniture plan and layout will accommodate student dining as well as refrigeration and preparation of meals.” 

This new dining location shortens the walk to campus dining facilities for students living in the Westin Copley Place and the Midtown Hotel. Symphony Hall is located at 301 Massachusetts Ave. and the Cohen Wing’s entrance is on Huntington Avenue, across the street from Ginger Exchange and the Huntington Theatre Company.

Deanna Schwartz can be reached at [email protected] and @deannaschwartzz on Twitter.

• Students walk toward EXP on the Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Complex Pedestrian Bridge. The total cost of attendance for Northeastern undergraduates during the 2023-24 academic year was $86,000.

Campus

Students pay nearly $80,000 to go to Northeastern. Where is that money going?

• The Krentzman stairs covered with a decal of Paws. The stairs were previously covered with decals of popular book titles with various Northeastern puns.

Op-eds

Op-ed: Shelving the book stairs: a representation of Northeastern’s underlying problem

• Review: Gracie Abrams opens her diary for ‘The Secret of Us’

Entertainment

Review: Gracie Abrams opens her diary for ‘The Secret of Us’

• Joe Connor on the ice for the USHL Muskegon Lumberjacks. Drafted to the Tampa Bay Lightning in the final round of the NHL draft, the incoming freshman will play for Northeastern come fall. Photo courtesy Muskegon Lumberjacks.

Men’s Ice Hockey

Incoming freshman Joe Connor earns a spot in 2024 NHL Draft

• Lana Del Rey holds a microphone as she sings. Her performance was delayed by two hours due to wind and lightning.

Entertainment

Review: Lana Del Rey’s ‘One Very Special Show’ disappoints amid stormy chaos

• President Joseph E. Aoun speaks at the 2022 Presidents Convocation. Aoun wrote an article on the future of AI in higher education that was published in The Chronicle of Higher Education. File photo by Marta Hill.

Administration

Aoun authors essay on bracing for, and embracing, the future of AI

• The exterior of International Village. In the past two decades, Northeastern consistently raised the prices of on-campus housing options. File photo by Marta Hill.

Campus

Living expenses at Northeastern are creeping up each year. Some students say they aren’t getting the bang for their buck.

• Review: ‘Inside Out 2’ is a sequel that grows with its grown-up audience

Entertainment

Review: ‘Inside Out 2’ is a sequel that grows with its grown-up audience

• A Boston Police Department officer walks toward the scene of the bomb hoax in Holmes Hall Sept. 13, 2022. Jason Duhaime was convicted June 28 of staging the bomb hoax and lying to federal law enforcement. File photo by Avery Bleichfeld.

Campus

Former Northeastern lab manager convicted in 2022 bomb hoax on Boston campus

• Photos of the month: June

Multimedia

Photos of the month: June