Northeastern to use part of Symphony Hall for fall dining

cohen+wing

Deanna Schwartz

The Cohen Wing of Symphony Hall is located on Huntington Avenue.

Deanna Schwartz, managing editor

Northeastern is leasing the Cohen Wing of Boston’s Symphony Hall for “student dining, ‘grab ‘n go’ meal distribution, and student collaboration,” according to a letter from Northeastern administrators sent to the Boston Planning and Development Agency July 16. The university intends to use approximately 14,000 square feet of the space for a six-month period, from Aug. 15 to Feb. 14, 2021. 

Northeastern Media Relations did not immediately respond to an inquiry about the exact use of this space, but the letter states that “no additional use for this space is anticipated at this time” and Northeastern will not be using any other space in Symphony Hall.

The letter states that “reduced density protocols will be in place” in the bathrooms and “the furniture plan and layout will accommodate student dining as well as refrigeration and preparation of meals.” 

This new dining location shortens the walk to campus dining facilities for students living in the Westin Copley Place and the Midtown Hotel. Symphony Hall is located at 301 Massachusetts Ave. and the Cohen Wing’s entrance is on Huntington Avenue, across the street from Ginger Exchange and the Huntington Theatre Company.

Deanna Schwartz can be reached at [email protected] and @deannaschwartzz on Twitter.

• One of Northeasterns major draws for students is the co-op program, which extends to cities around the world with the Beyond Boston program. However, some students who took a co-op outside of Boston say they felt isolated from campus and unsupported by the university.

Campus

‘Beyond Boston’ co-ops lack social networks, ease of accessibility

• Members of the Northeastern University College Democrats and College Republicans met Nov. 10 for a debate in Richards Hall. The topics ranged from gun control to inflation.

Campus

College Democrats and College Republicans host debate in aftermath of Election Day

• Northeasterns net assets have risen dramatically since 2006, while debts have remained relatively stable, according to Nedell. Total revenue has increased by 7.8% in this time. Photo courtesy of the Northeastern Office of Finance.

Campus

Northeastern treasurer presents to Faculty Senate, discusses $1.3B university revenue

• Ethan Zuckerman delivers an address at the Northeastern alumni center Nov. 15. Zuckerman, a public policy professor, spoke about the future of the digital public sphere.

Campus

Ethan Zuckerman discusses future of public sphere at CAMD Distinguished Lecturer Series

• Northeastern announced a collaboration with the mental health advocacy group JED in an Oct. 31 email. The four-year partnership will bring advisors on campus to help improve Northeasterns mental health resources.

Campus

JED partnership seeks to upgrade on-campus mental health support

• After noticing that there were no sewing clubs yet at Northeastern, some students got together to form one. They are working to make the club official next semester.

Campus

Northeastern students look to form sewing club on campus

• Many Northeastern students have received scam emails, like this one, claiming to offer high paying part-time jobs. New security measures have been introduced to make it more difficult for other users to log into someones Northeastern account.

Campus

Surge of scam emails prompts security concerns, new protection measures

• Northeasterns faculty senate voted Nov. 2 to create two new graduate programs in the College of Professional Studies. The College of Science voted in a Master of Science in nanomedicine and the College of Arts, Media and Design voted in a Master of Science in creative collaboration and multidisciplinary design.

Campus

Faculty senate establishes two new graduate programs

• Northeastern students Evan Forcucci and William Cutler have created Huskypedia, a student-edited and maintained set of resources to act as an alternative to university-run sites like the Student Hub. Still in its infancy, the site has space for interested Northeastern students to add information about topics ranging from a freshman survival guide to the annual Underwear Run. Photo courtesy of Huskypedia.

Campus

Student-created Huskypedia aims to provide resources, information to students

• Susan Chira, Pulitzer-prize winning editor-in-chief of The Marshall Project, spoke at Northeastern Oct. 26. She shared her perspectives on the interplay between journalism and activism at the event, Journalism, Activism and Social Change.

Campus

Susan Chira shares insights on intersection of journalism, activism