Northeastern to use part of Symphony Hall for fall dining

cohen+wing

Deanna Schwartz

The Cohen Wing of Symphony Hall is located on Huntington Avenue.

Deanna Schwartz, managing editor

Northeastern is leasing the Cohen Wing of Boston’s Symphony Hall for “student dining, ‘grab ‘n go’ meal distribution, and student collaboration,” according to a letter from Northeastern administrators sent to the Boston Planning and Development Agency July 16. The university intends to use approximately 14,000 square feet of the space for a six-month period, from Aug. 15 to Feb. 14, 2021. 

Northeastern Media Relations did not immediately respond to an inquiry about the exact use of this space, but the letter states that “no additional use for this space is anticipated at this time” and Northeastern will not be using any other space in Symphony Hall.

The letter states that “reduced density protocols will be in place” in the bathrooms and “the furniture plan and layout will accommodate student dining as well as refrigeration and preparation of meals.” 

This new dining location shortens the walk to campus dining facilities for students living in the Westin Copley Place and the Midtown Hotel. Symphony Hall is located at 301 Massachusetts Ave. and the Cohen Wing’s entrance is on Huntington Avenue, across the street from Ginger Exchange and the Huntington Theatre Company.

Deanna Schwartz can be reached at [email protected] and @deannaschwartzz on Twitter.

• Classrooms across the Northeastern campus have their capacity marked at the door.

Campus

NUflex met with mostly positive response from students, faculty

• A classroom in Ryder Hall is outfitted with NUflex technology.

Campus

Northeastern extends NUflex through spring semester

• Cabot, once a facility where varsity, club and intramural sports could occur, has been the home of a massive testing operation this semester.

Campus

Initial COVID testing shows promising results; minor issues with logistics, wait times

• Students approve of first-year dismissals, but not financial penalties

Campus

Students approve of first-year dismissals, but not financial penalties

• "Despite the situation, being back and seeing my friends and roommates was a major reason for me to return,” said third-year business administration major Ellie Weinstein.

Campus

LightView residents eager to be back, find sense of community

• The four panelists from Thursday

Campus

Journalists discuss renewed need to combat online misinformation in panel

• While there were initial reports that they will not have their $36,500 tuition refunded at all, the students had the ability to appeal this decision.

Campus

Dismissed N.U.in students credited tuition for spring semester

• Stacks of moving hampers

Campus

First-years express excitement for fall semester after diminished senior spring

• Northeastern University owns a graduate campus in Seattle. Photo courtesy Phototainment.

Campus

Northeastern closes Seattle campus because of wildfires

• The families of two students dismissed by Northeastern have hired a lawyer in hopes of challenging the university

Campus

[UPDATED] Parents of two dismissed students hire attorney