Northeastern dismisses 11 first-years for gathering

Deanna Schwartz

While there were initial reports that they will not have their $36,500 tuition refunded at all, the students had the ability to appeal this decision.

Mihiro Shimano, news staff

Northeastern dismissed 11 first-year students after N.U.in staff found them gathering at the Westin Hotel Wednesday evening. The students were in violation of Northeastern’s Guide to Residence Hall Living, which prohibits large or crowded gatherings and hosting visitors. 

According to News@Northeastern, the students were informed that they would “no longer be part of the Northeastern community for the Fall semester,” but will have a chance to appeal their dismissal at an expedited hearing. 

According to reporting from the Boston Globe, the students are not permitted to take their fall semester  classes online, despite already having paid the university a full semester fee of $36,500 for N.U.in. They will be allowed to return in the spring to continue their studies. 

They are required to undergo a COVID-19 test before leaving campus. If they test positive, they will be placed in Northeastern wellness housing until fully recovered. Otherwise, they are required to leave the hotel within 24 hours. 

The 11 students were part of the N.U.in Boston program and were housed in the Westin Hotel in Boston. Currently, 818 Northeastern students are housed in the hotel, which is located near Copley Square and is less than one mile from campus. 

Northeastern has enforced the no-guest policy to all university housing, mandating that no guests are allowed into the buildings or in rooms, if they live in the same building. 

The university recently sent an email to students warning them of suspension to those who host or attend unsafe gatherings. Those who violate the university policy are expected to be charged a $500 fine per violation as well as no refund for any room or board for those kicked off of campus. 

Updated at 1:20 pm September 5th to reflect additional information from the Boston Globe.