Northeastern updates COVID-19 guidelines after Massachusetts stay-at-home advisory

Deanna Schwartz

Northeastern’s COVID-19 guidelines are not taking into account the sex lives of students.

Jessica Silverman, deputy campus editor

In an email to students Nov. 4, Chancellor and Senior Vice President for Learning Ken Henderson gave an update regarding the new safety measures imposed by the Massachusetts government to address the spiking number of COVID-19 cases in the state. 

On Nov. 2, Gov. Charlie Baker issued a stay-at-home advisory, under which Massachusetts residents are advised to stay home between the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m starting Nov. 6. Henderson advised students to follow the guidelines as well.

“Though non-binding, the university strongly encourages students, faculty, and staff to use their best efforts to comply with the DPH advisory,” Henderson wrote. “Please stay home between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. except to go to work or school, to return home from work or school, or to get essential needs like emergency medical care or go to the grocery store, pharmacy, or pick up take-out food.”

Henderson also addressed how the advisory would impact places on campus such as the Marino Recreation Center, SquashBusters and Carter Field. 

“Consistent with the DPH Stay at Home Advisory pertaining to fitness centers and gyms, the Marino Center and SquashBusters will close each day by 9:30 p.m.. Reservations for Carter Field will also end each day by 9:30 p.m.,” Henderson wrote.

Baker issued an advisory updating gathering limits as well, but it does not change gathering limits specific to colleges and universities, Henderson wrote. The university updated gathering limits in categories that fell under the new advisory, including indoor private residences, indoor event venues or public settings, outdoor gatherings at non-event venues and outdoor gatherings in public event venues or settings. 

Classrooms used for in-person instruction are exempt from the gathering limit. Northeastern will continue to follow the guidelines for office spaces as well, which restricts total density to 50% maximum density. The changes will go into effect on Friday, Nov. 6.

“Thank you for your attention to and cooperation with these guidelines, and for everything you continue to do to limit the spread of COVID-19 on campus and in our community,” Henderson wrote.