Northeastern shares travel guidance for Thanksgiving break

Lucy Gavin, deputy campus editor

Northeastern announced that the university is updating its guidance and requirements for Thanksgiving break in an email to students Monday.

Cabot Testing Center will be open with reduced hours during the break and students who choose to stay in Boston are urged to make their appointments at least a day in advance to stay within testing compliance, Chancellor and Senior Vice President for Learning Ken Henderson wrote in the email.

The email also reiterated the requirements for returning to campus that they shared last month. Students must complete a COVID-19 test on arrival and quarantine until their first negative test result, unless they are getting tested, picking up food, receiving medical care or using shared hall bathrooms. Students then must wait for a second negative test to return to their in-person classes and resume campus activities.

“Following these re-entry requirements may mean that students are able to attend only one or two in-person classes before the term ends,” Henderson wrote.

This new update from the university referenced the rising COVID-19 cases in Massachusetts as well as on Northeastern’s campus.

“Our contact tracing team reports several patterns contributing to transmission: having dinner with friends, not wearing a mask when talking to friends, people seeing family or friends from out of town, going on a weekend trip with a small group, and not being evaluated by a clinician when symptoms develop,” Henderson wrote. “The risk of contracting COVID-19 in a public space, such as a restaurant or bar, may also be increasing. Avoid these and other situations that increase the risk of becoming infected or inadvertently spreading the virus to friends, family, and colleagues.”

Henderson also asked that students choosing to leave campus for the holiday to share their travel plans with Northeastern via a form linked in the email and complete a separate return form upon coming back to Boston.

“By knowing your travel plans, the university can best support you in a successful close to the fall term and in promoting a safe and healthy trip,” he wrote.