Northeastern temporarily closes all campus recreation facilities

Before+Marinos+winter+closure%2C+students+were+able+to+use+the+basketball+facilities+while+social+distancing+and+following+safety+protocol.+

Gretchen Hofmann

Before Marino’s winter closure, students were able to use the basketball facilities while social distancing and following safety protocol.

Leah Cussen, news staff

The Marino Recreation Center and the SquashBusters Center will both be closed until Jan. 27, 2021 in accordance with the City of Boston returning to a modified Phase Two, Step Two of its reopening plan.

The order was issued Monday by the Boston Health Commission and took effect Wednesday, Dec. 16. It requires that indoor gatherings be limited to 10 people, while outdoor gatherings be limited to 25 people. Previously, indoor gatherings were limited to 25 people and outdoor gatherings were restricted to 25% of a facility’s maximum occupancy or up to a maximum of 100 people.

“Unfortunately, we are at the point where we need to take stronger action to control COVID-19 in Boston, and urgently, to ensure our health care workers have the capacity to care for everyone in need,” said Mayor Martin J. Walsh in the announcement of the order. “We are hopeful that by reducing opportunities for transmission throughout the region, we will reduce the spread of this deadly virus and maintain our ability to keep critical services open.”

The change also requires that certain industries — including indoor fitness centers, health clubs and athletic facilities — be closed until Jan. 27, or six weeks from when the change was put into effect. Other businesses that may have office spaces and outdoor event spaces are allowed to remain open with certain restrictions.

In addition to its recreation centers, Northeastern will also temporarily suspend all in-person Campus Recreation-sponsored programs, services and events, like outdoor fitness classes and personal training. The university will continue to offer fitness classes and intramural sports through a virtual setting. 

The order, however, indicates that the closing of indoor recreational and athletic facilities does not apply to collegiate or professional sports. NU’s winter sports teams may continue to use on-campus facilities and fitness centers.

Editor’s note: This article has been updated to show that the city of Boston has extended its modified Phase Two, Step Two of the reopening plan until Jan. 27.