Northeastern lifts outdoor mask mandate, revises testing schedule for vaccinated individuals

Mike Puzzanghera

According to an April 29 email from Chancellor and Senior Vice President for Learning Ken Henderson, Northeastern will lift its outdoor mask mandate on its Boston campus effective April 30.

Sarah Barber, news staff

Northeastern’s outdoor mask mandate will be lifted April 30 and a new testing schedule will be available for vaccinated students and staff beginning May 3 on the Boston campus, according to an April 29 email from Chancellor and Senior Vice President for Learning Ken Henderson.

Masks will still be required indoors, at large outdoor events and at any time social distancing cannot be maintained, including outside. Vaccinated students and staff will be allowed to conduct a nasal swab test every seven days instead of every three days. Students and staff can report their vaccinations through a form beginning next week. 

All changes were made in accordance with guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Massachusetts state-wide orders, according to the email. 

In the fall, vaccination will be required for all students. A separate process for reporting vaccination records will be in place but has yet to be announced. 

Students returning to the Boston campus for summer courses will be required to test upon arrival, then follow a cadence depending on their vaccination status. However, quarantining until a negative test result will not be required.

Campuses in British Columbia, London, Ontario, North Carolina, Maine and Washington have lifted the outdoor mask mandate as well, while California is currently reviewing its mask guidelines. More information will be released in accordance with updates from these states.

“As we move through the summer and plan for a normal fall term, we will continue to monitor the latest health and safety guidance and adjust our protocols accordingly,” the email read. “Thank you for continuing to ‘Protect the Pack.’”