Campus deemed safe, threat declared ‘fraudulent’

Students+reenter+Snell+Library+after+campus+declared+all+clear+around+12%3A30+a.m.+Sept.+23.+

Avery Bleichfeld

Students reenter Snell Library after campus declared all clear around 12:30 a.m. Sept. 23.

Marta Hill

Campus was declared all clear just before 12:30 a.m. Friday after a “fraudulent” threat alleged explosive devices were left in Curry Student Center Thursday night. 

“An unidentified person called in a threat alleging that there were explosive devices in the Curry Student Center on Northeastern’s Boston campus,” the university said in a statement send to The News. “We have now determined that the threat was fraudulent and there was never a danger to anyone on campus.”

Northeastern University Police Department responded immediately to the threat, in coordination with other law enforcement agencies, the university statement said.

“The Curry Center was evacuated and a thorough sweep of the building was conducted by police and canine units,” the university statement read. 

According to an email from Provost David Madigan and Chancellor Kenneth Henderson to students, faculty and staff Friday afternoon, there is “no reason to believe” the incident is connected to the incident in Holmes Hall Sept. 13.

Around 10:40 p.m., the campus community received the first NU Alert of the night, which established a shelter-in-place order and said there was “police activity” near Curry. 

At 11:18 p.m., a second NU Alert lifted the shelter-in-place and asked people to avoid the area near Snell Quad and Curry Student Center. 

Editor’s Note: This article was updated at 1:45 p.m. Sept. 23 to include information from a new university email.